Author Topic: Chain Lube and cleaning options  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Chain Lube and cleaning options
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 18:58:45 »
Edumicate me someone.
I also believe that too much lube is just wasting good lube....but....some are saying to put very small amounts onto the chain.
But the roller isn't sealed.....is it?
So we need to ensure the roller is well covered.
Or do we.....
Upt.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 20:21:46 »
I like the chain to have plenty of lube. Also tension at the tighter end of Suzuki range - the gear changes are smoother, bike pulls slightly better and chain is quieter. That's what I find anyway.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2023, 20:59:58 »
Polishing is OK, bleaching however, is another matter.   :whistle:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 11:20:44 »
In 2015, when I bought my 1000 Strom after 22 years of shaft drive bikes I also went through these concerns. After fiddling about with gear oil after every ride I looked for something different and found it in a Scottoiler. Once fitted I didn't have  to adjust the chain up until I traded it in for a 650 in 2019. I also specified a Scottoiler for that bike. Admittedly my riding these days are mostly dry and I don't do anywhere near as many miles as I did, but I have still to adjust the chain on this bike. Keep the reservoir topped up with the proper oil, ride & forget. I certainly have not had any over oiling issues once the oiler was set up properly. Just my experience.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 07:22:35 »
There is a Tutoro oiler on my F8GS (bike came with it fitted) which I'm not that struck on - its way to finicky over which oil is in it, barely dribbling using gear oil in the winter to gushing out in the warmer months.
My other ride has a scottoiler on it and I find it much easier to regulate, even with gear oil in it.

Hi Steve.   I have a Tutoro oiler on my DL and have been pleased with it.  I agree it's a bit finicky about which oil you use, but I've found that scottoiler oil works great in it.  It's also easy to wash off too which is useful.

Offline bobbymc

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 10:41:54 »
Buy a secondhand scottoiler and use chainsaw oil as lube....simples !
I have a 2009 DL650.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 15:18:56 »
But the roller isn't sealed.....is it?

Someone more educated will correct me however, road bike chains are referred to as sealed whereas off road applications are normally unsealed. Where the roller meets the faces, there is either a rubber O ring, or another type of seal (X ring).
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 02:02:24 »
I would imagine, unless someone has really cheaped out on your chain, that you have a sealed (O/X ring chain) as jab says.

The o-rings keep the factory grease in, and crap out. One train of thought that I've found online is that "over-cleaning", especially with harsh cleaners, might actually damage the O-rings and accelerate chain wear as the factory grease escapes. With a sealed chain, any "chain lube" is actually there to prevent rust forming on the faces of the plates and creeping up/damaging the O-rings, and to make it all look nice, rather than to actually lubricate anything.

On a non-sealed "standard" chain, the lube is also there to lubricate the moving parts, as there is no factory grease/seals. My 125 had a standard chain from the factory.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2023, 05:11:41 »
It's the pins that wear oval holes in center plates of chain that causes stretching.Keeping o rings lubed helps stop o rings drying out/shrinking,preventing prepacked grease  from escaping.Side plates don't matter as long as they don't go rusty,this can damage o rings.Upt north is right the rollers should also be kept moist with oil,but this is to stop sprocket wear not chain wear.If you touch the o rings and your finger is oily that's enough oil.If your rollers have that dry shine put some oil on.Keeping o rings good is the main thing so beware of wd40 it can expand/soften o rings.I use parafin, though very rarely clean the chain, diesel is OK,petrol is not for above reason.
When I got my 650 new last july I decided to use up various odd cans of spray hanging around,and have adjusted chain 4 times in 13000 miles.However when it goes in for 15000 service I will get them to connect up the scottoiler I'm going to fit[can't be arsed to lift tank when they are going to do it soon]
Normal oiling is fine but a scottoiler or like, disregarding price,is so much simpler.
I like simple.
ho hum

Offline nigel s

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2023, 06:17:20 »
Just remembered, I lied ,I've adjusted the chain another time when I fitted a 14t front sprocket at about 7000 miles.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2023, 13:29:07 »
If the internals of the chain can be lubricated then the seals must be toast and the chain needs to go
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2023, 17:49:38 »
Just a note on scottoil,it is water soluble ,this may seem counter intuitive but it means it disperses if you should get it on a wet tyre and helps the chain self clean.

Offline ThunderStrom

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2023, 18:03:36 »
About the first upgrade I've done was mounting a OSCO oiler.
Still, the chain will corrode a bit on the outside, so I clean it now and then with lamp oil.

This is my first motorcycle and I have added only 3000km on the odo, so I know nothing about durability or so.
But the practically of the OSCO and the ease of installation is brilliant.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2023, 18:48:18 »
Hello thunderstorm,you may be on your first bike but from your post I don't think it will be your last ,enjoy the ride

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2023, 19:52:48 »
@Thunder-strom. Doing stuff on your bike and really making it yours  :thumb: That's great.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline ThunderStrom

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 13:39:07 »
Thanks gentlemen!  :)