Author Topic: wee strom 650 2018 -better headlights?  (Read 504 times)

Offline bazza950

• Bike: DL650, Fazer FZS600
wee strom 650 2018 -better headlights?
« on: February 22, 2023, 12:50:04 »
Hi folks,my stacked headlight 650 is great  except the dipped beam .OK I am visually challenged and happy to fit some spots if needs be but lets start off with a bulb upgrade.I fitted HIDS years ago and they were fantastic,on a KTM.There are loads out there to buy and watched the U tube bloke explain the difference.but nothing beats experience . anyone recommend a good solution LED or HID ?

Offline sweaty sock

• Bike: R1150GS, VFR750F, TTR250
Re: wee strom 650 2018 -better headlights?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 18:41:49 »
I was hoping someone else would chip in here...
I am a WeeWannaBe and was wondering if the stacked lights were any better than the prev. lights.
I am also visually challenged as many of us past a "certain age" lose our rods. Not that one  :roll:, but the rods in our eyes that help night vision  :old:
My old Beemer has a HID in the dip, sort of helps but it doesn't make up for shockingly bad optical design of the "projector" type lamp. Same with my old Mazda car a few years ago. 
Best lights ever had were on my old VFR, similar to the excellent Pan Euro lights- big, proper lights, for old men... sorry, real men!

Offline dav

• Bike: DL650A M1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 19:29:15 »
First thing I did on my 2021 650 was to bin the standard H7 low beam bulb
and put in a philips x-treme vision bulb motorcycle specific which I find is a
massive improvement, I find main beam okay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353634079778

I also find these spot lights super, giving a good wide light and good coverage
in front, on all the time as Drl's and they don't dazzle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Additionnels-antibrouillard-Protection-C%C3%A2blage-LITTOU/dp/B0714KKK32/ref=sr_1_28?crid=20630QZZP7UAN&keywords=BMW+motorcycle+spotlights&qid=1677526312&sprefix=BMW+spotlights%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-28

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 22:13:32 »
So.. I assume the later 650 has the 2014 -19 1000 stacked style headlamp..
Philips extreme vision bulb is in upgrade.. but not the total answer..
After riding my old 1999 Varadero 1000 with Philips bulbs in the headlamps, the Strom has poor lights even when upgraded..
I have been searching out options.
The led upgraded headlamp that the danish co was selling looked good and has great reviews.. but they seem to have vanished off the planet.. and I am not keen on our basing a Chinese "lookylikey" for quite a bit of wonga... If it isn't very good and lasts 5 mins..

Legally.. fitting an HID or LED Bulb is illegal and won't (shouldn't) pass an MOT.. the regulations have changed..

So I m looking into installing something like the morimoto M-Led 2 projectors..it's quite a bit of work, and they are not cheap.. but it would give twin dip and high beam and they have an great output... (I will be installing these in my car as the HID headlamps loose the chrome on the reflector and light output gets shocking)
Just finding a spare headlamp to experiment on has been a challenge..
In the mean time I have popped on a couple of compact cheapy led floods and this has made the dip better but not extended the output forward.

Online purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 22:33:14 »
Legally.. fitting an HID or LED Bulb is illegal and won't (shouldn't) pass an MOT.. the regulations have changed..

Motorcycles and historic vehicles are exempt from the restriction on putting LED/HID bulbs in housings not designed for them, as long as the beam pattern and aim is correct.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

I have my eye on some Philips LED H7's, I tried some eBay specials but not actually certain they're any better. The LED high beam was definitely not any better than the halogen.