Author Topic: Clutch Pushrod Adjustment Locknut Torque?  (Read 467 times)

Offline croptopmartin

• Bike: DL650 K8
Clutch Pushrod Adjustment Locknut Torque?
« on: February 18, 2023, 11:55:26 »
Out on a run on Sunday, a couple of times when I accelerated really hard and my revs went almost red-line. Initially I thought I was in too lower gear, but when it happened a few times I peeled off from the group to investigate.  Found I had no play in clutch lever.  Too cold to investigate further at roadside so rode carefully home accelerating gently and only as much as necessary. The revs behaved normally.

I don't usually do home maintenance but money being tight, asked a few mates, YouTube etc and set to...

Removed plastic cover at lower end, f#%k what a lot of road crud probably mixed with chainwax; cleaned out.
Clutch cable return spring is fine.
Disconnected cable at bar lever, it moved fairly freely, but sprayed plenty of GT85 anyway. Cable then moved smoother and GT85 dripped out bottom end.

Readjusted bottom end to give more adjustment at top clutch-lever .

Online it said about the Clutch pushrod actuator, to slacken the locknut and turn screw out, then to turn it in until slight pressure felt.
Then turn out by one quarter turn and tighten the lock nut.

Did a road-test locally, no red-lining when hard acceleration, so appears no clutch slip. Also gear-change seems smoother.

QUESTION 1: Tighten the Locknut whilst keeping screw in place, But how tight?  Is there a torque setting?
QUESTION 2: Does the pivot bolt for handlebar clutch lever need Loctite to prevent loosening?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
Re: Clutch Pushrod Adjustment Locknut Torque?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 18:06:53 »
I wouldn't use threadlock. The nut pictured is called a lock-nut because it locks the slotted bolt in place. Turn it until it stops and then a just a few degrees more. For the clutch cable at the lever just turn the Knurled nut finger tight while pulling on the clutch lever to set/hold the cable ferule from turning.  Well that's what I do.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 07:12:34 »
To me as a first step in the whole adjustment process, is to first release any possible clutch tension from the clutch cable before fiddling with the clutch worm gear pushrod setting  screw. At the hand grip turn in the clutch cable ajuster, to slack off the clutch cable tension. Check that the clutch worm end that the cable is completely slack. If not loosen the second adjuster  which is located slightly above the worm gear / front sprocket.
Next loosen the worm gear setting screw locknut, backout the setting screw abount 2-3 turns, then turn it back in untill you just feel resistance (you're starting to disengage the clutch plates, stop), then back out ΒΌ turn, and tighten the locknut. The final important step, is re-set with the correct amount of clutch cable tension that allows for the clutch lever free play adjuster at the handlebar to be fine tuned to the correct clutch lever free play.  The locking ring on this adjuster is all that it requires, so no loctite / thread locker is required

If it sounds like a mouth full, follow the clutch adjustment instructions as laid out in the service manual. And note as Brockett has indicated, the setting screw locknut is there to prevent the set screw from coming undone. The locknut doesn't need to be tightened down to the extent that one requiress a breaker bar to release this locknut. And yes sometimes it is difficult to hold the setting screw in position while turning the locking nut, but with practice one gets the hang of it.

If you don't have a service manual, down load one from the downloads page.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 17:20:10 »
QUESTION 2: Does the pivot bolt for handlebar clutch lever need Loctite to prevent loosening?

The pivot bolt (at the lever end) threads into the clutch perch, and then the nut that goes underneath locks it in place (as well as being a locking style nut with the metal fingers). I wouldn't use loctite.