Author Topic: To start or not to start  (Read 601 times)

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
To start or not to start
« on: January 29, 2023, 11:04:16 »
Hi all
I was wondering what your thoughts are on starting the Vstrom occasionally during winter storage and letting it run to full temp, or not starting it?
In October I filled the tank and put additive in plus plugged it into the battery charger. My winter riding days are over especially where I live with farm mud and diesel on the roads from the really nice considerate farmers with no number plates....sorry rant part over.
Cheers Oldleathers.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: To start or not to start
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 12:24:00 »
Yes, it is a good idea to start the engine once a month. Remember though to let it run until the engine and exhaust is hot. I say "exhaust" because you want the water from the fuel to evaporate when you turn the engine off rather than sit rusting the exhaust from the inside when it cools.

I would put the bike on it's centre stand and run it in gear for a short time too, possibly a bit over the top but what you want to happen is for oil to circulate the engine and gearbox so as to keep it lubricated. Anyway, it brings you and your bike together during the long winter months.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 14:58:17 »
Yes good article Joe, actually had the white milky stuff in the oil after winter starting a few bikes back think it was my Bandit.
cheers

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 15:20:47 »
I'm in the don't start it group!
Ticking over or even revving a bit won't get it up to running temperature. Although the battery situation can be dealt with using a trickle charger the condensation within the engine can't.
If you're not going to use it for a few months, clean it & dry it well, fill it to the brim with premium (or use an additive), that will help stop condensation in the tank and the petrol will be fine for 3/4 months, then put the battery on an optimate or similar. Put a coating of oil on the chain & also check the tyre pressure every now & then and that's it.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:07:59 »
My bike lives in a fairly stable temp, partially undergound garage and is always on an Accumate when not being ridden.
The past few years I've been much better at just riding through the winter, something to do with a faired bike and decent textiles vs a naked steed and perforated leathers I suspect.
I still fire it up if I don't ride for several weeks though just because I miss the sound and the smell.
If I do fire her up, I always let her run until the fan kicks in a few times, although this is mostly to check all the sensors etc are still working before I next take her for a proper run.