Author Topic: Riding from North of London (Derby) to South of London (Folkstone)  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Riding from North of London (Derby) to South of London (Folkstone)
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 10:33:14 »
We've done the ferry a few times (Portsmouth > Caen) but it's a 6hr trip instead of 35mins & 3 X's the price. We're saving around £200 going via the tunnel, that's a fair bit of petrol & fizzy beer.  :)   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Dr Evil

• Bike: 2018 DL1000 XT, 2000 GSX750F, 2001 Suzuki DRZ400
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 13:48:15 »
I live in Kent and used to do a regular trip to Yorkshire (about 8-10 times a year) I'd recomend A1, A14, M11, M25 then M20. Since the A14 has been upgraded and the A1 has lost all it's roundabouts and nearly all it's speed cameras it's a fairly clear route.
Santa Claus faced grumpy old bastard !

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2023, 14:46:44 »
Yes, I think that's my choice of route. Cheers.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2023, 14:59:53 »
I have to agree with Mick about the cost (of Brittany Ferries). They rule the waves to Caen and to the West. Le Harvre has DFDS line running as well as Newhaven to Dieppe. I use the latter as I have family at Worthing and Horsham. Only problem is the timetable isn't very usable with a 4 hour crossing (one boat leaves at midnight!). It is much cheaper though and a hotel at Dieppe is only six hours from home here. Cross country is a pleasure and the old bridge across the Seine at Tancarville has been renovated along with the road network around it. Only fee is 2.50€ to cross it.
So how's it going so far then?

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2023, 16:07:00 »
Joe Rocket, didn't know about the DFDS to La Havre. Used Portsmouth -Caen etc and find the ride down not ad bad as Dover.
Although it's more expensive than Dover-Calais you do save on fuel and possibly accommodation.
Good for Normandy/Brittany and the West Side of France, not so much for Alps etc.
Thought about that crossing to go to Spain.. bit closer than Calais and the ferry isn't as eyewateringly as expensive as to Santander/Bilbao.