Author Topic: Help please - Insurance for Motorbike in North America  (Read 532 times)

Offline numptynut

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Help please - Insurance for Motorbike in North America
« on: January 25, 2023, 18:23:53 »
Help please! I'm trying to get Insurance for my Bike to travel around North America on a 4 month trip. Does anybody out there know best way to get it or have similar experience!? My current company (Bikesure) says 'No'
Thanks
Stromtrekking across the universe always going forward 'coz we can't find reverse

Puch MS50V (45 yrs ago!) > Yamaha EW 50 Slider (Daughter's!) > Honda XL125V > V-Strom 650 > Versys 1000 > V-Strom DL1050

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Help please - Insurance for Motorbike in North America
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 19:14:58 »
I thought you arranged insurance with an American company on/for arrival?
Timangus might know from his round the world trip, but if not you could ask on Stromtroopers for insurance advice

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 19:41:16 »
I did a US trip quite a few years back on a CB750 I bought out there, and insured it with this company https://fernet.com/overseas_visitors/overseas.html  . All went well. 

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 20:36:04 »
Get top quality health insurance and not just something cheap.
My mate got a virus and was taken to hospital for three days. While he was mostly out of it due to a very high temperature they gave all sorts of medical tests. He had NO treatment and when he got home his insurance got a bill for $45,000.00. They didn't want to pay it and the Hopital chased my mate for the cash and called in the balifs. It was settled by the insurance in the end but a big lesson for everyone here.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 17:11:22 »
I took out medical cover for us both which would include repatriation through ASUA (All Seasons Underwriting Agencies) tel 0203 327 0555.
Your shipping agent will need to arrange an exception from EPA Approval as your bike will not have been tested to US emissions.
For insurance I used a travel company here but they could only get me very expensive cover for 3 months and I was there 4. I found Progressive Insurance through a local agent covered me for a month for $93. I set up an annual policy and cancelled after a month.  They however have to send documents to a US address so that is where you have to tell them you are based. We used our hotel in Carson City and went back a few days later to collect paperwork and mail back a form to prove we did exist. They may do things online now.