Author Topic: Engine numbers  (Read 718 times)

Offline Ebbs73

• Bike: Dl650 , gsxr 750 , zx6r , er5 , Honda c90 c Ducati 848
Engine numbers
« on: January 14, 2023, 14:12:38 »
Good afternoon

You may have seen my last thread about my storms engine being unhappy without oil and giving up , I fetched the face book add bike that was shown to me , 36 miles and bang , this really did lose its mind and the engine went bang again ! Hay ho .

I have two bikes that need engines but at least it’s doubled my chances of ringing one .

So what relevance does the engine number on the side mean  , would an abs engine fit and run in a non abs bike of the same year , I’d guess it’s just the electronics , could be wrong

Thank yous

Chris

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Engine numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 06:47:37 »
As far as I know, as long as both engines (non-ABS vs ABS) have the same country code and are the same year model, the engine of the 1st gen Wee is the same. The major difference between the ABS vs the non ABS models is, a different wiring harness for the ABS related connectors, the APS pump, the ABS wheel sensors (front and rear), the extra ABS brake hose, the ABS related fuses, the storage capacity of the under seat tray and there is also less wattage available for accessories due to the ABS pump wattage requirement.
I would say that to make 100% sure, one could draw a parts list on both the non-ABS and the ABS, then do a part by part comparison of ABS vs non-ABS part numbers, for any differences.
Feel free to correct me, if the above is incorrect.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 07:37:58 »
Year model will be the determining factor.
Forget reg year it's misleading.

K4-6 will be interchangeable - single plug per head.
K7-L1 will be interchangeable - twin plug per head.
L2--6 will be interchangeable - redesigned twin plug per head.
L7 onwards I'm not sure.

But don't try and swap engines from one model year range to the other or you're in for a world of hurt.
Like don't fit a K6 engine in a K8 bike or a L2 engine in a K5 bike.

Even if the engine will fit in the frame you may find the sensor connectors don't fit the ones on the loom or your missing some required sensors if your fitting an earlier engine.

Ride Coordinator

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 13:27:48 »
If you didn't have bad luck Chris you'd have none at all.
Like Mr.Diver says only use model compatible engines, the engine number is just to provide an identifier for the factory and security purposes. I would have thought each new design started over.
Good luck, hopefully.
Upt'North.

Offline Ebbs73

• Bike: Dl650 , gsxr 750 , zx6r , er5 , Honda c90 c Ducati 848
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 16:01:34 »
Thank you for the replies , all this info will help greatly .

As I have 2 really nice stroms  with poorly engines and a nice one to use I’d like to try and get them all working and then sell on .

I’m aiming to get the same year engines or as close as possible , as I now have a working Strom I can take my time .

Sorry for the delay , just had 5 days in Tenerife and now back to the freezing cold !

Appreciated as always

Offline Gert

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 06:48:11 »
Perhaps something to keep in mind if you should plan on using a motor from a K7 Wee, the stator output on the K7 is only 375W, where the stators of the K8 + models are 400W.  The motor is basically the same but you would have to tranfer your current stator across to the new K7 engine, if you go that route.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_V-Strom_650 under the year 2008.

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 18:12:01 »
What about an sv650 engine?   May be easier to source one for that year.... and you're more likely to find a lower mileage engine.
As long as you change just the engine it will fit and work fine.

Offline Gert

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 06:21:04 »
If I recall reading, the DL wiring harness would have to be changed to an SV harness, for a successful engine transplant.  Some of the connectors where found to be different.
The SV transplant is possible, as discussed in this SV 1K transplant into a DL1K frame, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3217.0.html
If you do go the SV 650 motor transplat route, do remember to share many pix of this venture.  :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 08:21:35 »
the cams are a different profile on the SV650 and the ECU will have a different map.

Ride Coordinator