Author Topic: Steep hills....?  (Read 556 times)

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
Steep hills....?
« on: November 16, 2022, 10:50:13 »
The other day I went for a little ride.
I've not ridden my 650 for a while following 3 and a half hours of sedation in the dental chair then a covid booster that as always hit me hard, with full on symptoms again (I had covid pretty badly 2 years ago and still have long covid) but for some reason I thought I'd follow my satnav along a twisty route.
I didn't think it through - I live in Cornwall, and some of the back roads are narrow with no passing places, rarely used by anyone and given that the weather had been pretty wet and miserable possibly covered with all sorts of debris.
The first few miles were narrow, then I saw the sign warning me of a 28% incline, going down. Sadly I didn't think until just too late to turn around. The road wasn't wide enough for me to turn the bike around, and I doubt I could have if I'd tried. Covered with leaves, broken branches, moss and wet.
First gear, foot gently on the back brake trying to remember skills from my schoolboy scrambles days, trying to stay on what little tarmac I could see until I got to the bottom, where there was a raging river that was just a few inches over the road surface, but with a water depth measuring sign that went to 6 ft.
Boy, was I glad to get off that road, and it's only since I got home that I've actually thought just what could have been, and no mobile signal had I fallen off.
The pictures are from google maps, obviously taken on a nicer day - it was gloomy and wet when I was there. I'll think twice about going down roads like this again!

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: Steep hills....?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 17:52:46 »
Some off road skills go a long way towards keeping you safe on the road. Well done for keeping upright.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 19:32:59 »
I love going on little roads like that, but not in this weather.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 19:48:42 »
Glad you managed to stay upright  :thumb:

We all have different levels of experience but, I have to say, that's my kind of road to have some fun.  :icon_wink: 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 19:56:21 »
That looks great to me now but wouldn't have a few years ago.
Life starts at the edge of your comfort zone 😬