Author Topic: Want to start prepping for long touring  (Read 733 times)

Offline Cadbal

• Bike: DL1000
Want to start prepping for long touring
« on: September 17, 2022, 20:32:32 »
Hi everyone, new bloke here. I've recently picked up a DL1000 18 plate, I want to start preparing it for some touring, UK first, then Europe, maybe RTW eventually.
Just looking for advice on anything really that would help, I know it's a very wide scope but I'm just trying to grab as much good advice as possible.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Want to start prepping for long touring
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 21:53:57 »
I'd start with ergonomics. See how you get on with a couple of hour rides and see if you need anything like footpeg lowering kits or handlebar risers, or maybe a better screen. After that, things like a chain oiler would be a good investment for tourering and decent luggage if you don't have any already.

I'd also think about heated grips/jacket too if you tourer spring/autumn.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 07:03:41 »
Spend some time trawling this.
https://www.advrider.com/f/

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 08:36:15 »
Pack as little as possible and then pack less.
Your credit card doesn't take much room and is more important than stuff.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 08:44:31 »
On my 14 I have, 25mm bar risers, footrest lowering kit, MRA or Givi screen, Suzuki tall seat or Sargent and that's the comfort sorted but everyone is different. Also heated grips,  a Givi plate and topbox, Scotoiler plus the usual Suzuki bits, main stand, crash bars etc.
I only go away for a few days at a time so use a tank bag or soft panniers but if you're going to tour a lot get some hard panniers. Choice is yours, lots of styles out there.
  As for the bike mine has never missed a beat in 40k miles. Only trouble has been the rear shock lost a lot of its compression and rebound at about 25k but no leaks, was replaced with a Wilbers unit and at about 30k I got fed up with the clutch basket vibration and had that modified.
  Get out and ride it a bit to see how you feel and what mods you'll need and keep looking on Ebay and here to see if any luggage comes up for sale as people trade up over the winter. Good luck.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 13:08:48 »
Ride it for a bit until you know what, if any, additions need to be made for your own comfort, seat, bar risers, screen, mirrors etc.
Once you're happy with all that then you need panniers, back box & tank bag...maybe? Or, if you won't have a pillion some folk like a waterproof roll bag on the pillion seat.
My preference is hard panniers, easier to fit & remove & more secure. Loads to go at just do your research.
I'm with Hugo on the packing. It's surprising how little clothing you can get away with, most places you will stay at will have a sink & water for washing. Get some decent base layers, the lightweight, quick dry stuff are great IMHO. Bit of a rinse with 'all purpose' soap, hang 'em up & they're ready to go next morning. Anywhere you will go, just about anyway, will have shops to buy anything you didn't take.
A bottle of water.
Start with a credit card & a toothbrush & go from there.
Perhaps breakdown insurance....buy it & there's a good chance you won't need it....don't buy it & you may well wish you had.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 16:35:25 »
Hi Steve from Northumberland.
Ride it first, try to replicate a long mixed day, then a motorway day (they will happen). We bought our 650 in May this year. It's just baby steps really. The 650 was not good at first but we're working on it. The risers came off and rider peg lowerers went on. We decided on a hard Givi 52 L top case for now but that will be supplemented by panniers sometime through the winter/spring.
The seat is a real piece of work and will need work once we decide which way we'll jump.
With regards luggage, go big, you don't have to fill it and why spend the same or thereabouts for less litres. If you're thinking of camping then consider where you're going to tie things on.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 05:24:12 »
I was told that all you need for a long trip was a credit card, spare pants and a RAC card, I thought I needed more so this was me setting off for a 7 week trip to Istanbul from Wales on a bike built in 1952. Panniers, top box, tank bag, single seat with an ali box mounted between the seat and the top box (this was full of spares and tools). When I got home 8000 miles later the spare parts and tools were still in the box (having not been used) and the camping chair, cans of food, energy bars and army food bag things etc were left in the first hotel that I stayed at (I pity the hotel staff as it was all under the bed). I now understand that pack only what you need, my last trip to Scotland needed a tent, airbed and sleeping bag, everything else could be bought on the trip.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 15:42:53 »
Things I always take: charging leads, adaptor for different plugs, a credit card that doesn’t charge for overseas use, compressor, tyre repair kit, a few extra tools including 12mm allen key so I can remove front wheel if needed,
Bike things: taller screen, a roll bag rather than a topcase. It holds more, weighs less and doesn’t upset the aerodynamics of the bike. Top loading panniers. Most give you somewhere to strap things and they make useful seats off the bike. Ensure it has been serviced so you are not searching for things early on into your trip.
Things I wish I had done: Get the suspension set up properly, as I did recently. It makes such a difference. 

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 15:50:58 »
 :text-goodpost:
This chap is reasonably well qualified to advise.