Author Topic: Changing Suspension Links Without Centre Stand  (Read 659 times)

Offline moto-luke

• Bike: DL650XT L9
Changing Suspension Links Without Centre Stand
« on: August 29, 2022, 18:44:50 »
I bought my bike a couple of months ago and it came lowered with a longer dogbone.
I'd like to revert the bike to its original height as my knees feel far too cramped whilst riding.
The issue I've got is that there isn't a centre-stand on the bike, so I'd need to find a way to get the bike up without there being any weight on the rear.

If I put a scissor jack underneath the engine sump would this be safe?  I'm sure the engine would be able to handle the weight, but I'm worried that the bike could topple over really easily.

Anyone know a way around this?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Changing Suspension Links Without Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 18:58:59 »
Changing dogbones won't change the distance between your seat and feet, your knees will be in exactly the same position.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 19:39:48 »
Sounds like you need a footpeg lowering kit...

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 19:56:46 »
Yes, I should have mentioned that bit of kit. A taller seat might help too, if they still do one for that model. Or both, if your legs are really long. The footpeg lowering kits move the feet slightly forward as well as down, which helps to de-kink the knees a bit.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 01:03:05 »
Check you haven't got the lowered seat fitted too if a shorter rider had the bike previously. Might be a part number stamped into the bottom of it you can check too (although truthfully I've never actually checked the bottom of my seat!)

Possibly 4510028K50BGP or 4510028K51BGP for lowered, 4510028K00BGP or 4510028K01BGP are standard, yours may be different yet as the parts diagrams stop at 2018!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 07:35:35 »
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=37159.0 as recommended in #2 above.

As far as changing the dog bones / lowering links with out a center stand, have a look at https://www.adventuretech.biz/DL650-and-gen-1-DL1000-raisinglowering-link-instructions.html and https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=38283.0  The rafter idea is the easiest in my opinion, but for safety sake, you may required another pair of hands to help you.

Offline moto-luke

• Bike: DL650XT L9
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 10:42:24 »
Thankyou everyone for your comments, they've all been helpful.

I think I'll still try raise the bike back up, even if it doesn't help with the knee situation, as I didn't mention that I sometimes carry a pillion + luggage which means that the rear of the bike is riding incredibly low at times.  The side-stand also hasn't been shortened so it can be rather precarious when I leave it parked up.  In terms of getting the bike jacked up to swap the links out, I think I'll just stump up the money for the centre-stand as the rafter method isn't viable for me, besides at least it will make chain maintenance easier in the long-run!

I've checked underneath my seat and I can't find any indications whether it has been swapped out for a lower one or not.  Unfortunately there's no part number markings other than "28K >PP< etched into the plastic.  Any idea what this means?  It looks like the beginning of the part numbers you mentioned, but crucially the identifiers that reveal whether it's lowered or standard are missing.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 11:36:10 »
I think the centre stand is a good shout. Not only for maintenance but you may need it for parking somewhere/sometime.
If you compare images of the seats on line you will see there is a noticeable difference in appearance between the three seat heights.
The markings on your seat are the same as mine, the part number is probably under the foam  ###.
Upt'North.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 12:04:00 »
   This might come in handy when you are ready to order new links.
Ian Mc.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 15:50:22 »
28K >PP< almost certainly just says "Yes, this is for the 2017+ V-strom 650" and then the plastic identifier (Polypropylene).

I was going to suggest I measure my seat, but without knowing 100% whether it is the lowered one or not, that wouldn't be much use :P