Author Topic: Clutch plates change.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Clutch plates change.
« on: November 29, 2022, 11:40:23 »
Hello. I am about to change my clutch plates soon and in preparation for the job and I need some information.

1. Does the water pump must come off or it can stay as a part of clutch cover? It is being hold by 5 bolts where 3 of them hold the clutch cover and another two keep the pump attached to the cover. I guess it will be easier to remove the pump and have better access to remove the tubes connected to the water pump?

2. Cleaning sight glass. I wanted to do it for a long time but I had no need to remove the clutch cover so far, so I waited. Is there a way to access the glass to clean it? There is metal reflecting bit which is in a way, is this removable?

3. I need to soak the plates in the oil for few hours but they are marked with specific part numbers and they have to go in in particular order. Do they have part no stamped somewhere to figure out what is what?

4. Draining coolant. There is two bolts which can be used to drain the coolant. I guess the bottom one on the side of the clutch cover is a drain and the top on from the front of the cover is a air bleed? Do I need to undo both or just the bottom one?

I think that's it for now. Any responses will be appreciated. I was looking in the technical section but I have not found pinned post regarding clutch plates change.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Clutch plates change.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 11:44:37 »
With regards draining the coolant, just the bottom bolt on the front of the crankcase cover is for draining but undoing both does seem to allow a little more collant out and faster as well. You will need to loosen the top one to bleed air when you refill anyway so I'd undo both. The front drain bolt has a washer/gasket under the head which will very likely be heat welded to the crankcase cover. Suzuki say to replace it but I just used a little gasket maker compound and it's been fine.
With regards the case removal/water pump etc, there is a pretty good run down on the Vibefreevee site for if you're removing and replacing the clutch basket. I think John says to remove the water pump in his instructions so maybe this needs doing, does the Suzuki Workshop Manual on the downloads page not cover clutch plate replacement?

Offline pichulec

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 11:57:16 »
Hmm, I have not checked. Which Workshop manual you are referring to?

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 12:17:05 »
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads.htm

There's a KLV1000 K4 Service Manual which should be identical to your K5, or there's even the Suzuki K6+ one which should be the same for all the engine related stuff.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 20:08:38 »
I think your engine will be almost identical to the SV 1000 so this link for reference.

SV1000 Clutch removal - Part 1 - YouTube

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 21:12:06 »
As I’m about to purchase a 1050xt I’m finding a lot out about the clutch amongst other things.

Do yourself a favour and go on the werx website - you know, the US company that modify the Vstrom clutch baskets.
There is an excellent, detailed video showing how to dismantle the clutch and re-assemble.

No, the water pump can remain part of the clutch cover, no need to dissemble it.

Interestingly, the mechanic said that he’s never, ever seen a Vstrom in need of new clutch plates as they are so long lasting and that replacing them is a waste of cash!

What is your reason for replacing them?

Offline pichulec

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 22:14:16 »
The reason for replacing is that when I harshly accelerate it is about 1s delay before bike starts to accelerate. The revs go much higher like when clutch is slipping, and when the revs drop a bit it starts to pull. Also I have genuine Suzuki clutch plates set laying around for almost 2 years. Tried to sell it but no luck. Another reason is that I need to change, oil, filter, coolant, clean the clutch cover sight glass. All of that make me do the job and change the clutch plates as well.

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 00:18:09 »
If you’re going in anyway and have the new plates then why not.

The werx video points out a couple of things to watch out for on re-assembly. If you get them wrong, the clutch will slip.

It looks a straightforward enough job though. Good luck.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 06:16:57 »
In support of the reply in #5 above, have a gander / look at the video and tips in  https://werksparts.com/clutch-installation