Author Topic: Alarms  (Read 1419 times)

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
Alarms
« on: May 12, 2022, 14:21:24 »
What is peoples experience of alarms?
My vstrom which I bought last Friday has a Datatool alarm fitted, never had one before, think this is a decent quality one and going by the bumf I got was fitted professionally.
When I bought my bike, rode it home 60 miles, parked it up and have spent the time since doing a few jobs, started it once on Sunday.
Anyway, finally got my insurance sorted and went to go for a ride this morning, turned over slow at first, then after a few attempts battery was dead as a dodo. Plugged in my optimise and 3 hours later started fine (leaving it on optimise overnight)
So, do alarms flatten the battery if left for a week?
Of course it could be that the battery was a bit low when I bought the bike or the battery is toast.
What do you think?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Alarms
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 14:43:15 »
The general consensus on here will be to bin the alarm.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline crump

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 16:03:18 »
to be honest that was my first thought when I bought it, but I'm surprised the battery has gone flat after just standing less than a week...as I said it could just be the battery, don't know if its still the original but the bike is u years old and has spent a lot of its recent life standing.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 16:26:07 »
I'm lucky enough to not have to get an alarm because of insurance. Personally I'd not buy a bike with one of them fitted.

Offline crump

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 16:41:29 »
I don't need one and didn't want one but it came with the bike....its coming off

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 16:47:38 »
My last Datatool did kill the battery but usually not for 2 or 3 weeks, sooner if I'd done any short journeys though as naturally the battery hadn't recovered the charge lost to start if not ridden very far.
Same as others, wouldn't choose to have one again although it wouldn't be an issue now as the bike is always on an Accumate when parked.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 16:51:34 »
If I was seriously looking to buy a bike then find out it has an aftermarket alarm fitted - I would walk away from it and never look back.
WHEN (not if) they go wrong it's a major pita to remove and you'd be better off buying a second-hand loom and swapping out the original.

I have bought a bike once that had an alarm fitted, but truth be told, I'd started it, pushed it in and out of the workshop maybe 10 times before buying it for £500 having never sat on it- the first thing I did was remove the alarm.
Bike was sold 3 years later (after being used as a hack and washed only twice in that time  :-x ) for £750

The flat earther that bought it asked me if it had an alarm fitted  lol  lol  lol
I handed him the alarm that was still sat on the shelf in the garage.

Ride Coordinator

Offline crump

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 17:13:50 »
Well I've already bought the bike so unbuying it isn't an option. I'm rubbish with electrics, a real numpty, but I do have a local mechanic who has done electric work for ne before.Surely it won't need a new loom, more a matter of making the loom good where it has been spliced?.....you've scared me now.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 18:01:13 »
Removing naffed datatool and meta alrams was a regular thing in the dealers I worked in.

If its working and not flattening the battery you can leave it alone. But when alarms fail it tends to be when you're on a tour somewhere.

Ride Coordinator

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 18:04:39 »
A decent auto electrician will be able to remove the alarm.

I've removed many and it's rare to find one that's been fitted really well.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline crump

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 18:55:01 »
I've got paperwork from the bloke that fitted it and he's detailed how and what he's done, so I'm hoping it isn't a complete bodge job

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 19:43:02 »
I would be careful not to blame the alarm too quickly. Probably worth doing some basic voltage checks on the charging system and assessing the battery. The earth connection is also another candidate. Cleary forum members have had bad experiences with some alarms, but there will be many who are virtually unaware they have an alarm as it causes them no trouble at all.
Enjoy the vstrom  :grin:
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 20:28:53 »
I'm with the take it off group but, as said, it might not be as easy as pulling a few wires out. It will have been connected into the ignition circuit and where that was split it will need re-connecting.
There will be a few posts on here about alarms if you do a search of the forum. Have a read, plus speak to your local man and ask him. If he knows what he is doing with electrics he can use a meter to find what the drain from the alarm is and tell how long the battery will last with the alarm connected.
In the meantime leave it where it is and keep your optimate connected.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 21:26:10 »
Bin
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 22:38:21 »
This is one post on the forum about data Tool Alarm removal.....
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=31295.msg375845#msg375845

reply #10 might be useful?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 19:15:11 »
Bought a Speed Twin 1200 last year (sold it after 5 weeks as it was awful). It did have an alarm - think it was an S4? Looked it up on line and found it really simple to get rid of! There was a multi pin in-line plug and socket, which you disconnect, and fit a dummy connector with two contacts shorted, about £5 if I recall. Then you just unravel the wiring from the disconnected join to the alarm, and deposit in the nearest bin.
Also learned that the Insurance Company doesn't even take it into any account!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 21:39:14 »
The Datatool on my Strom failed and cut the engine. In lane 3 of the M1.

Weirdly, it would start and run in neutral, but cut as soon as a gear was selected.

After being recovered and changing my underwear, I removed it the same day and the bikes been fine since (it was about 4 years ago).