Author Topic: Clanking sounds from chain when accelerating & intermittent oil warning light  (Read 700 times)

Offline Jimmy_C

• Bike: DL650 L2
Hi blokes,

I've got a 2012 DL650 with a couple of, I hope, minor issues that would be great to get opinion on.

First, the chain sounds cranky when accelerating (pretty sure its the chain anyway).  When coasting the sound is not there so I'm concerned either the chain is perhaps not tight enough or I should get it and any associated parts changed out.

Second, the red oil light flicks on and off occasionally.  Mainly at low revs and not all the time.  Once the revs get above 3.5 - 4k it stays off.  I'm thinking its a sensor issue as she's riding just fine and oil level is fine.  Was only services a month or two back.

I don't think the two issues are related else I'd get the warning light when accelerating and not when idle.

Any advice appreciated!  Cheers.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Jimmy,

Have you inspected the chain for tight spots? Also, how much slack is there when you move the chain up and down?

Re: Oil light, I am assuming you have checked the oil level?

Some pictures of the condition of your chain would help  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
Checking the chain tension/ slack and the oil level should be carried as per the instructions in the manual. Can I assume you are doing it correctly?
Chain clattering on acceleration could be extremely worn sprockets and or sprocket carrier bearing failure so check these as well.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
I'd second sprocket carrier bearing. It can occur fairly quickly, moreso under load.

If not and it's the chain then this isn't sudden....... Chain and sprocket usually slowly catch up on you and you get used to it until, well, you notice it at last.  :shock:
So how's it going so far then?

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
I think the chain would be noisy all the time if it was toast and certainly on overrun. You need to check chain, sprockets, bearings, adjustment etc. Sounds a lot but will take 10 minutes including the cup of tea.
What miles are on the bike and who did the service?
What oil was used? Has it only been doing it in the heatwave?
The sensor switch wouldn't be a bad starting point.
Upt'North.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
It could be when the chain is on its last legs, or has frozen links or don't have enough slack, there could be a creaking sound on acceleration.
A good inspection of the chain is called for to determine which of these are the culprit.
Also as above check on the condition of the sprockets.  A hooked or worn front sprocket could be the reason for the sound..

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Auto correct changed good to bad in the above post.
Which is bad not good.
To clarify, it would be a good starting point.
Upt'North.