Author Topic: Broken lock OEM (?) Top box. Help?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Uchujin

• Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Broken lock OEM (?) Top box. Help?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 11:44:35 »
So unfortunately no luck with cleaning and re-lubing the barrel at all. Key won't turn and wafers won't sit flush.
 :shock:

So if the offer is still open and you happen to come across the lock and key from your totalled pannier I'd be more than happy to pay postage to get them from you.
No rush as I'm off to Cornwall next week and then doing Lands End to John O'Groats, then back to East Anglia, camping and visiting friends for the next 3 weeks  :)

Online purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2022, 21:47:08 »
Have you tried filing the wafers flat against the barrel as Ian suggested? If the lock is well used (or poor quality wafers), the key (likely harder than the wafers) rubs down the inside surface, meaning the wafers will not pull into the barrel as far.

This, funnily enough, can also be the fix when your bike key starts behaving badly in the ignition!

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 16:18:28 »
Right, back from Europe now and work has calmed down a bit so will go digging for that lock and key. Will PM once found, hopefully locate both this weekend.

Offline Uchujin

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 07:04:03 »
No rush!!
I was supposed to be touring the UK for the next 3 weeks but got as far as Oxford and tested positive for COVID  :icon_no:

Offline Uchujin

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2022, 13:23:33 »
It is with many MANY thanks to @rixington43 who sent me a spare barrel and key that he had, plus his really great photos and explanation earlier in the thread that I now have a fully functional locking topbox again!!!

Can't thank him enough :)

I'll be sure to pay his kindness and generosity forward to someone here at the first available opportunity.

(Now if I can just get over the lingering effects of this bastard COVID I'll be out for a ride)