Author Topic: Water Pump Tube?  (Read 805 times)

Offline SGTOM

• Bike: DL1000 L5 Desert
Water Pump Tube?
« on: May 30, 2022, 22:38:50 »
Hello everyone,

This tube popped off somewhere on the way home yesterday, I estimate I rode 40 miles with it off as I had heard a noise I didn't recognise but was so damn tired It didn't occur to me what it might have been.

My question is what is this tube and what are the potential problems from riding so far with it off?

cheers

Just to add my boots where covered in coolant and lots had been blown up into and around the engine, swing arm, all over really. Has had a good cleaning since.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Water Pump Tube?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 08:53:21 »
If I'm not mistaken, that pipe goes to the thermostat housing.

First question would be, did you notice the bikes temperature ...? , you would have seen a warning of some kind.

Second question would be,  why it came off ..?

If your bike didn't overheat you may have been lucky not to cause any permanent damage.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 08:56:32 »
    Was the high temperature warning light on ?
    I known Suzuki use these “clip” type hose clips,but I am not a fan and replace them ASAP.
Ian Mc.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:08:45 »
the attached image (stolen from eBay)

red arrow - goes to airbox - crankcase breather heading to airbox.

blue arrow - goes to thermostat

The one that's stuffed with tissue would be the main coolant inlet for the water pump.
I can't see why crank case breather would be full of coolant. could it be the blue arrowed pipe that was off.

The main thing to check is how much coolant did you loose?
If the expansion tank is empty you'll need to need to refill and check the level of coolant in the radiator - do not start the bike again without checking both of these.
Measure how much needs to go in to fill - approx. 2ltrs is the total coolant volume iirc

middle image show with airbox on

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 10:24:52 »
If the sender unit is situated relatively high up in the system, like on the radiator, when there is a sudden loss of coolant then the sender wouldn't see an increase in temperature great enough to ping an alert before the coolant drained away from it.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline SGTOM

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 12:27:02 »
Hi and thanks for the replies.

First thing first. I meant to say oil had been blown up around the engine not coolant. I had just been reading about the coolant system before I made the post!

Yes it was definitely the red arrow labelled tube, so crank case breather tube? What would have caused this tube to come off? Should I replace the "pinch" clip it with a jubilee clip?

I've topped the oil levels up, it took a litre to bring them up to normal so I assume that's how much was lost and sprayed up around the bike.

I had no warning lights on my display and the temperature gauge was at 3 bars which it is always at. But just for piece of mind I checked the coolant level in reservoir that's under the seat and it's fine.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 12:56:14 »
First thought for a cause would have to be pressure build up inside the breather pipe. Might be worth checking that the pipe hasn't got pinched or kinked on the way to the air box and then get in to the airbox and check for blockages in either the pipe or the foam in the corner under the air filter. With regards the spring clamp at the bottom, the pipe shouldn't ever really get enough pressure inside to come off, I'd just make sure the inside of the pipe and the boss it slides on to are good and clean before re-fitting so the pipe grips the metal boss properly.
Losing a litre of oil is a pretty significant percentage but hopefully no lasting damage in such a short distance given you presumably weren't thrashing the bike to within an inch of its life. I'd say the real luck was not getting a load on the rear tyre.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 16:59:06 »
The long tube is there to allow enough distance from the crack case to the airbox for the oil flung off by the clutch basket to accumulate and run back down.
1ltr of oil is a significant amount, but at least there was oil in there. I can't see it being a major issue as it wasn't a sudden loss of all oil or a blockage of an oil channel.

There is known issues with some bike models where they get a lot of emulsified oil/water black the tubes, and blow the hoses off.
but not that this is an issue I'm aware with any of the models of stroms.
The XJ600 was notorious for issues with breather pipes and used to cause me issues and puddles of oil every now an again, when it dumped a fair amount of emulsified oil into the airbox.

to be honest I would replace the clip with one of the high pressure variant, as there will uniformly tighten, where jubilee clips have a tendency to pinch.

Ride Coordinator

Offline SGTOM

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 20:32:28 »
Is there anyway that this issue could cause an oil leak?

For the past 2 nights I've parked the bike on its centre stand with cardboard underneath and had some drops of oil in the morning.

Could it be that the oil that has sprayed up inside is just slowly running down. I did give the bike a clean but their are areas I can't really reach.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 21:27:49 »
Yes , oil gets everywhere...

Your breather pipe came off due to a build up of pressure, this can be caused by either, as said, a blockage or your motor has been overfilled with oil.

The sprung clamps on the breather pipe probably saved you from having a more expensive job of replacing a cam cover gaskit.

Generally,  after a pressure build up , the weakest points blow first so I wouldn't put stronger clamps on your breather pipe.

Check for a blockage in the pipe or at the point it clamps to your airbox. Inside, there should be a filter and sometimes they can get blocked by a cream coloured goo.

Chief trouble maker 🙂