Author Topic: Petrol gauge  (Read 770 times)

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
Petrol gauge
« on: June 02, 2022, 10:24:22 »
Something strange is going on with the petrol gauge on my 2019 650 XT. I have the instrument panel set to let me know the available range and this seems to countdown properly. If a set the trip to zero when I fill up this also seems to work with the remaining range, but the bars on the gauge itself never seem to drop below half way For instance I filled up yesterday evening (£1.78 a litre !) when the trip showed 197 miles covered and the remaining range 87 miles, but the bars on the gauge itself were still at half way. I put in about 12.5 litres. It's not a real problem I can manage using the trip and range remaining, but just wondered if this had happened to anybody else.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Petrol gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:18:33 »
I find the range to go more logical and believable than the bars on the gauge. Also, the icon(s) blinking level doesn't reflect the range to go figures, with the range figures being backed up when I refill the tank.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 07:54:24 »
Have a look at the image of the fuel gauge device mounted on top of the fuel pump as a reference, https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/Suzuki/motorcycle/2019/v-strom-dl1000a/172a-fuel-pump.  The gauge is basically a mechanical device that sends a varied voltage to the gauge, based on the fuel level in the tank.
 In the fuel tank, the float device moves a wiper on a resistor strip, which in turn varies the voltage sent to the fuel gauge. Unlike a fuel tank shaped like a gigantic U, which in theory would allow for a more accurate volume readings, the base of a motorcycle fuel tank is not flat but similar to an inverted U shape. The upper volume of the fuel tank being wider to that of the volume of the base section of the tank, makes for the delay in change in voltage sent to the fuel gauge.
The service manuals in the downloads section, contain a list the different resistance values when it comes to testing / simulating the fuel level sender readings.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 09:32:08 »
The link has a capital 'S' in Suzuki, it seeds to be lowercase.
The forum changes it.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.