Author Topic: Bike Recovery  (Read 677 times)

Offline Whiterose

• Bike: DL650 K6
Bike Recovery
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:25 »
After having had a terrible experience with the RAC recovery recently, we decided to cancel it.
If we ever need recovery again we’ll take a chance and Google for a local service to pick the bike up.

This set me wondering, does anyone know if there is already a register or list of motorcycle recovery services in existence, similar to the Good Garage Scheme?

On a separate note, we would like to thank all those who stopped and offered assistance as we waited in a lay-by between Sherburn-in-Elmet and Squires Cafe last Friday. Knac****d rectifier.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Re: Bike Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:45:46 »
RAC let me down following my breakdown coming back from the MOT testing station. So I will not renew. (I usually go for AutoAid, but they now have a ten year vehicle age limit for cover).
But I was amazed and gladdened how many people stopped by to check I was OK, one bloke even popped over to sort out a cup of tea for me!

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 13:16:16 »
I'm with Britannia Rescue = LV, no age limit on bikes and the one time I needed them they did job well  :)

They also cover you if you damage the bike as well as if it breaks down  :) :)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 14:14:51 »
I got rescued by StartRescue previously. They just send a local recovery person. That was fine and reasonably quick c. 40 mins (albeit the bike was stranded in a live running lane on the A1 in Newcastle - stupid no hard shoulder roads)

I'm now with AutoAid as recommended by Money Saving Expert. Covers me and the Mrs, rather than a vehicle, and again uses local recovery folks. I've not used this yet so can't comment on how good it is, but MSE says it gets good reviews.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 15:40:56 »
I was put off these companies that use local garages after being left stranded in the night by one working for Green Flag who decided without actually checking the car that it was safe to drive all the way home and then left (a rear brake pipe had blown at the compensator valve & I was losing fluid every press). No doubt he still got his big call-out fee & mileage from them. I ended up having to get a mate out who had a towing dolly. Been with the AA ever since, even though it costs much more than others, and they've never let me down.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Whiterose

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 09:29:52 »
Some interesting views and tales of woe, thanks for the input, makes us feel that we're not on our own with regard to having had bad service from 'reputable' companies.

I suppose its down to - you pay your money and hope for the best.  :shrug:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 15:26:23 »
I use Auto Aid
There is no age of vehicle limit other than a bit extra to pay if the vehicle is more than fifteen years old. I pay £59.75 a year. To my mind that gives me some peace of mind since I tug my bike around on a trailer a couple of times a year on my 08 plate Dobblo. No doudt it will go up a bit next year when it becomes 15  and of course the older things get the more liable they are to break down (ask me how I know). :old:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 17:33:37 »
I did recovery part time for 17 years. It doesn't seem to matter which company you use, you get good and bad recovery men everywhere. I had cause to call recovery myself one time. Kawasaki ZX10 gearbox sprocket came off at over 120mph. Believe it or not there was no harm done.

The young fellow who came out with a lorry didn't have a clue. I told him to get out of my way then loaded it myself then told him to call into his yard on the way past so as to get a couple more straps to finish the job properly before the long drive to my home.

When I had finished off loading my bike he looked at me it was obvious he expected a tip. The only tip I gave him was to learn his job before leaving the yard again. Plonker and yes, I did report this to the recovery company. If I had left him to it, he would definitely have dropped my bike.

He worked for Greenflag. I did hundreds of Greenflag jobs and for most other companies too, even the AA one summer when they couldn't keep up, lots of motorbikes too and never scratched one.

Whoever recovers your bike I suggest you supervise the work.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Whiterose

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 18:40:47 »
Wow TD 46, that info is definitley enlightening and covering both sides of the coin, great advice.  :text-goodpost:

I think I'll order a couple of ratchet straps for future, just in case.