Author Topic: DL1000 AL8 spark plug replacement  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Banditbilbo

• Bike: DL1000 L8
DL1000 AL8 spark plug replacement
« on: October 09, 2021, 21:46:36 »
Hi everybody.
Today I was "checking" and "learning" about how yo replace Air filter and spark plugs in order to do a full service soon by myself ( DL1000 AL8, now 38000kms)
Once all plástic and fuel tank removed, the Air filter is an easy job.
Also spark plugs, at least, three. The fourth one, that is placed on the middle of front cylinder....

To remove It, I suspect that Will be needed to removed the radiator, It' s correct? How to remove It?

Otherwise, I Will need to buy 14mm socket tool to remove the plugs, but , which lenght, size or type is recomended?

Regards

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: DL1000 AL8 spark plug replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:42:07 »
Yes the radiator needs to be removed to access that front spark plug. Not to difficult, drain the coolant at the water pump, three bolts hold the rad on, remove the hose's and the electrical connector for the fan and that's you.
I use a long nosed 14mm socket and long nosed pliers to fish the plug out.
And while you've went that far it would be a shame not to pop the rocker covers off and check the valve clearances.

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 09:58:54 »
Yes the radiator needs to be removed to access that front spark plug. Not to difficult, drain the coolant at the water pump, three bolts hold the rad on, remove the hose's and the electrical connector for the fan and that's you.
I use a long nosed 14mm socket and long nosed pliers to fish the plug out.
And while you've went that far it would be a shame not to pop the rocker covers off and check the valve clearances.

Hello Porter. Thanks For the answer.

I suspect that the f*cking Suzuki dealer never do Air filter or spark plug job on both services that I do with them.
Air filter was dirty as hell, and about spark plugs, they never wrote in the invoice "coolant" or something similar.

Thanks For the useful info.

Regards

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 10:48:12 »
The spark plugs do last a longtime, in the UK its 15000 miles to change them (24000km) and even then they look OK and could easily go 20-25k miles. But if you've went to all the trouble to remove tank etc you should replace them. At 38000km (23000miles) you'll be close to needing the valves done, I needed all four exhaust valves done at 30k miles (two exhausts tight, two on minimum, all inlets on minimum). Getting it all done now would mean not having to look at it again till your at 70000km.

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 13:12:51 »
Assuming you haven’t got Suzuki crash bars you’re supposed to be able to get at that front plug by tilting the rad forwards. Much easier to remove however, and change the coolant / clean rad at the same time.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 20:35:11 »
Assuming you haven’t got Suzuki crash bars you’re supposed to be able to get at that front plug by tilting the rad forwards. Much easier to remove however, and change the coolant / clean rad at the same time.

Hi.
It`s clear.
I have same Suzuki crashbars, so, also, time to remove radiator and coolant service.

After some calculations, and once readed the full valve clearance check procedure, the full job may take me about 8 hours, if there is  no pad replacement needed....

Thanks.

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 20:45:23 »
The spark plugs do last a longtime, in the UK its 15000 miles to change them (24000km) and even then they look OK and could easily go 20-25k miles. But if you've went to all the trouble to remove tank etc you should replace them. At 38000km (23000miles) you'll be close to needing the valves done, I needed all four exhaust valves done at 30k miles (two exhausts tight, two on minimum, all inlets on minimum). Getting it all done now would mean not having to look at it again till your at 70000km.

Hi
I want to do this job, but it scares me a little.
I`ve done some valve check and adjustment jobs, but, in other kind of engines.

Lot of times in my old Mercedes W123 300D, with OM617 engine, plenty of room and gap adjustment by screw.

Also, some years ago, this service was done by myself in my old Bandit 600, SACS engine, same system to gap adjust.

I have not done adjustment in V engine and with pad system.

Anyway, my previous Bandit 650 k7, that I sold with 97000 kms, valve service was NEVER done, and the engine was healthy and plenty of power and response.

But, It`s a necessary job, and the Suzuki dealer from my area is not very reliable, so, I will do the job soon.

Lot of thanks for the info.

REgards

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 19:12:54 »
Hello
I want to do this job, but it scares me a little.
I`ve done some valve check and adjustment jobs, but, in other kind of engines.

Lot of times in my old Mercedes W123 300D, with OM617 engine, plenty of room and gap adjustment by screw.

Also, some years ago, this service was done by myself in my old Bandit 600, SACS engine, same system to gap adjust.

I have not done adjustment in V engine and with pad system.

Anyway, my previous Bandit 650 k7, that I sold with 97000 kms, valve service was NEVER done, and the engine was healthy and plenty of power and response.

But, It`s a necessary job, and the Suzuki dealer from my area is not very reliable, so, I will do the job soon.

Lot of thanks for the info.

REgards

Hi.

Valve clearance check job done today, with 46000 kms.
 I`m surprised, because all valve gaps were right, intake and exhaust.
Next valve gap check job, at 80000 km may be reasonable???