Author Topic: Scam!!!!  (Read 642 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Scam!!!!
« on: May 14, 2022, 19:33:02 »
Earlier today I had a phone call on the land line. The caller (Indian at a guess) told me that he was from Openreach. He continued to tell me my internet was playing up and it had shown up as a fault 'on their system'!
After 5 or 6 minutes playing a bit dumb & pretending I wasn't aware of a problem, but thanking him for pointing it out. I then asked what I could do to fix the problem, he gave me some technical shite that could make someone who wasn't at all knowledgeable believe him. After which, he said he could fix it there & then if I was happy for him to help me. After a little more conversation he said he would need to "let him log in to my computer & take control."
Two more words were said by me, the second one was OFF!!  ###

Be careful out there!!!!  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
Re: Scam!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 19:54:55 »
And this morning I got a message on my phone to say I was a contact with someone who had tested positive for Omicrom and I should click a link to arrange a test.
I did not click the link but I did delete it.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 20:17:01 »
Was it from 01269333025 ?
Allegedly Ammanford?

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 23:50:51 »
Just a plug for the pleasant pastime of spinning out calls from scammers as long as you can.
At least they can't be scamming vulnerable people if they are wasting their time trying to scam you.

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 13:12:41 »
If you haven't already, look up a chap who goes under the moniker 'Kitboga' on youtube - he takes on the Indian call centre scammers and keeps them on the line for hours - drives them wild! (he's also quite good with PCs and uses a virtual machine to spoof the scammers, makes them think they're about to get millions)...he's one of a number of scambaiters on YT [including the glitterbomb chap and <somebody> Brown who sounds like Liam Neeson] who are doing a sterling job stitching them up and (if the local authorities haven't already been bought) even gets some of them prosecuted (yay!...feckers!)

It's funny - I'm rarely moved to violence, but these wankers make me want to go over there and personally beat the living shit out of them! :icon_batterup:
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year