Author Topic: Helmet cameras or one to mount on the bike - what do you have ?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
Given that the silly season seems to be in full swing here in Cornwall with the roads getting full of tourists who don't use their mirrors or indicators I'm thinking of getting a helmet camera, or one to mount on the bike.
I've never had one so know nothing - any experts here that can offer any knowledge please?

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
Re: Helmet cameras or one to mount on the bike - what do you have ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 10:50:27 »
If you just want dashcam footage, buy a cheap action camera off ebay, mount it on the handlebar, set it on loop recrd and power it permanently with ignition on. That way you get evidence footage if that's what you want.
If you want proper video footage, buy something decent and chin mount it on the helmet.
Have a look at my videos on "Froglodyte's travels" on YouTube. The early ones were done with the first option. You can clearly see the difference in the quality  on the more recent ones.
Don't be fooled into thinking you need a GoPro. Stupidly expensive and not that reliable.

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 11:47:29 »
Thank you Froglodyte, I'll have a look shortly.
Much appreciated!

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 12:00:10 »
This chap's channel is worth watching. Dave is a professional camera man and biker so knows what he's talking about

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 18:31:25 »
I’ve just bought two Drift 4k’s. One to mount on my helmet, and the other to mount on my bike.

I was going to get two GoPro replicas off eBay but because of my screen, if I chin mount the helmet-cam you won’t see over the screen, and as I don’t like vids where all you see if the screen my next option was to mount it on the side of the helmet - but I don’t fancy having a great big rectangular chunk of plastic on the side of my helmet - so I opted for the Drift because the camera is relatively small and low profile and should fit onto the side of the helmet quite well and quite unobtrusively.

Whether I will regret this, or whether I’ve bought a couple of lemons and should of gone for the eBay-Chinese specials, then only time will tell but at the moment they look as thought they’ll do the job.

They seem easy enough to master and use, and the camera’s menu is really easy. They’re weatherproof and I can plug a mike in, so my next challenge is mounting it onto my helmet and then finding a suitable mount for the bike - and I have a cunning plan for that…

I’ll let you know how I get on with it.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 18:58:48 »
I have GOPRO 7 Black mounted on the windscreen. In 7 stabilisation is so good that it can cure the V vibration. Example below :)

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 08:32:06 »
Excellent videos, and thanks for your replies. As I'm mainly after footage of idiots a screen or bike mounted camera is what I'll go for, and a gopro looks like the way to go.
@Artyman, please do let us know how you get on with your Drift's though!

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 08:39:58 »
There's a very discreet dashcam type setup which has front & rear mounted cameras. A few on here have fitted them.

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:15:05 »
Might that be the Innovv ones Rusty - someone else has just mentioned them to me..

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 09:20:24 »
BTW, GOPRO also have dash cam feature.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 17:34:08 »
I've got a car dvr system that I replaced because it was a little unreliable (turns out the battery was duff, so it'd just power off mid-save and corrupt the sd card). It's not *technically* waterproof, however, I've siliconed the inside of the cameras (they're not directly being sprayed/exposed to water) and I'm going to see how long it lasts!

Front camera is mounted inside the screen, and rear camera (if I fit it), will mount just to the side of the reg plate. I do also use a Ghost X helmet mounted camera, but once it's battery has run down, that's it, where the bike mounted one will just loop record.