Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 615 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Cookies
« on: April 12, 2022, 13:05:27 »
Almost every site I go on asks me to accept cookies or filter the ones presented to me. Often (usually) I can't view the site unless I accept at least some.

Unless I really want information I ignore the site but if I want to proceed then I will filter them to a minimum.

Am I wise to do this or am I being ridiculously over the top?
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
Re: Cookies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 13:55:00 »
There will be plenty different views on this, but I am quite security conscious and generally accept all cookies and never have a problem with that.
There is the option of using Firefox in private view mode, which deletes all history and cookies as soon as you close the browser. You can turn the argument round and say if you are not prepared to accept cookies from a site then maybe that site is not suitable for visiting at all.
More important to me is to keep windows / the browser / antivirus / anti malware (if you have it) software up to date.
You could also consider using OpenDNS if you are comfortable configuring your DNS servers.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 20:19:24 »
The Doctor 46 - me too I hate it when I am asked to accept cookies. If I can't select "No cookies" I prefer to move on but sometimes I need the info on the site. While I understand that there's no such thing as a free service I would still like to know what price I am paying.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 21:49:17 »
You can always accept all cookies and go through life covid free?

I'll get my Hobnobs.............  :shy:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline HughDL250

• Mister Chicken Strips
  • Bike: DL250
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 22:40:32 »
There's always the 'I don't care about cookies' extension - https://www.I-don't-care-about-cookies.eu/, which automatically deals with the problem, and works in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Opera and a few more.

From their website - 'In most cases, the add-on just blocks or hides cookie related pop-ups. When it's needed for the website to work properly, it will automatically accept the cookie policy for you (sometimes it will accept all and sometimes only necessary cookie categories, depending on what's easier to do). It doesn't delete cookies.'

Cheers :)

Hugh

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 23:27:07 »
I always reject cookies and object to 'legitimate interests'.
I have no problem with a website knowing how I use that website, but I don't agree they should track me around the Internet or stay on my phone/computer for an undetermined amout of time.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 01:49:42 »
Again, I'm quite security conscious, and I really don't give a toss whether A B Plc knows how much I look at Mrs Smith on XXXRodent.

Also, the personalised adverts can be quite hilarious at times!