Author Topic: Sell to the trade or private  (Read 596 times)

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
Sell to the trade or private
« on: March 24, 2022, 11:48:40 »
After much deliberation I have decided to part ways with our V-strom 1000,

It has proven to be the best large bike that we have had and the wife has found it to the comfiest of them all.
Due to a medical condition and also getting older I am just finding it a bit of a handful when moving it  around.
As for selling it my local dealer has offered me £5500 to buy the bike 18 reg with 9000miles, would  you think that it is better to sell private or just let the dealer have it to save on hassle.

We are going to make do with our NC750x for now and possibly look at the replacement for the 650 when it arrives!

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Sell to the trade or private
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 11:57:56 »
I'd see what we but any bike etc would offer, might be more than the dealer.

Selling privately should get you more than the dealer offers, but then you have to hope you meet sensible, level headed, considerate people wanting to buy it, and not just tyre kicking time wasters who agree a price and then try to negotiate you down when they come to pay.

When I swap bikes I tend to go with the dealer option as it's a lot less hassle, and the profit they make is keeping them open for when I want to get the new bike serviced etc, YMMV.

Offline deecat

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 13:01:02 »
Just looked at we buy any bike and they offered 1500 less than to dealer!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 13:49:53 »
That's the issue with we buy any bikes/cars etc. It's a quick sale but for a low offer. Sometimes they try to offer less too when they come to collect.

I guess it's whether you think £5500 is a reasonable offer. Superbike Factory have a load listed there to give you an idea of the price the dealer will try to sell for, but they need to pay VAT on the difference between what it goes for and what they give you, plus service and likely some form of warranty.

I don't think £5500 is too bad an offer for a hassle free sale.

Offline deecat

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 14:01:07 »
It probably is a good offer without any hassle ,so I looks like I will be taking of some of the extras this weekend that I did not include on my list to the dealer.
Will be sad to see it go.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 16:51:23 »
That's not a bad offer, and would save you lots of hassle. I would take that and remove as many accessories as possible and ebay them.
I know where you're coming from. I took my 1000 out for the first time from Nov last at the weekend and I swear it's put on 20kg! After I got home I thought this bike is just too much now, I couldn't even get it on the centre stand to wash it! Old age is a terrible thing but better than the alternative I guess.