Author Topic: Problems with Rev Counter / Speedo  (Read 899 times)

Offline Ted1959

• Bike: DL650
Problems with Rev Counter / Speedo
« on: October 20, 2021, 16:36:19 »
I have had my 650 Vstrom for six years. Days before the end of the warranty period the clocks stopped working. The dealer said it was my fault that water had got into the clocks and that it would not be covered by the warranty. After weeks of argument we split the cost. Three years later I have had the same problem. the screen steamed up and the clocks have stopped working. Has anyone else had a problem like this??

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: Problems with Rev Counter / Speedo
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 19:46:57 »
Have to ask the question of where it's parked/garaged and how protected it is from humidity. Why was it your fault, according to the dealer? Aren't clocks instruments water tight?

My bike's in a garage but last year I found the battery flat and water (from condensation) sitting on top. I believe I trapped humidity under a cover I kept on the bike.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 20:00:12 »
I remember some posts on here a few years back about condensation in the display.
Do a search on the forum for 'condensation in display' or similar & see what you get.
I think one or two managed to get the unit changed under warranty and there was a 'fix' if out of warranty....I think?
Hopefully someone with a better memory might be able to help.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 20:18:58 »
My L2 developed that after a year and Suzuki did did pick up the tab for resolving it: I think it was something to do with the sealing of the connector in the back of it, and moisture was coming up in between the wires or something like that.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 22:44:34 »
Didn't the fix involve smearing silicone sealant around the rubber boot on the back of the instruments? (I think that's what I remember)

My L2 has misted up from time to time in cold weather. I previously had to remove the instruments and dismantle to dry them out in the house & reassemble.

You could contact Suzuki and see what they have to say (though I doubt you'd get anywhere being 3 years out of warranty). It's probably eBay for a replacement instrument panel - if you can see/remember the mileage, note it in the service book if you swap.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 23:10:41 »
Sounds about right: it was a few years ago & the dealer wasn't overly descriptive about the fix.

Have you tried pulling the unit out & drying it? I've salvaged a few damp electronic items by sticking them in a bag of desiccant crystals in the cupboard beside the boiler.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 15:36:34 »
As Uk_Vstrom650 suggests, contact Suzuki Customer Service and explain the history.
You have nothing to loose, specially after already replacing them with the same problem 3 years later.
Seems it may well be a fault. Clocks are expected to last mush longer than that.
Good luck.