Author Topic: Fuel cap seal  (Read 5099 times)

Offline GrahamS

Fuel cap seal
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:04 »
I started to smell petrol fumes whilst sitting at lights. The seal on my 59 plate DL650 fuel cap was hard and perished which seems to be common. From what I read it seems Suzuki don't sell the seal and you have to buy the whole cap assembly. Have seen some posts where users have adapted seals from other manufacturers.

However I found a seal for sale on eBay which is the OEM part, see link below. Five minutes to fit and now my tank is fully sealed. Lubed the lock whilst I had it apart and the cap locks and unlocks much easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha-Fuel-Filler-Cap-Seal-NEW/301734056274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline Rich:-)

Re: Fuel cap seal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 13:02:32 »
Thanks for the tip, mine's a bit wiffy too will get one.  :thumb:

Offline Walrus75

• Bike: DL650 K9 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 13:47:30 »
Great stuff!! Been pondering my smelly tank cap seal for a while now, was trying to build up the courage to repair it in a Heath Robertson type repair that I found on another V-Strom forum but this will be perfect!
Thanks Graham  :thumb:

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 18:56:26 »
I wonder if I have the same problem, I do get a whiff of fuel when I go into the garage to get the bike out.

Offline alan2001

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K5
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:00:44 »
Hi folks. I need one of these!

Can anyone confirm if the above item on eBay (still for sale!) will fit a K5 as well? I have no idea if the part has changed over the years.

Cheers  :)

Offline alan2001

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 17:28:30 »
Ach, impatience got the better of me. Plus it's urgent! So I've just gone ahead and ordered one of these.  :dl_hyperhysteria:

I'll report back on whether it fits or not... fingers crossed.  :thumb:

In the mean time, I'm pondering whether a bit of clingfilm will help to seal it up. Hmmm...

Offline alan2001

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 18:18:45 »
UPDATE:

It arrived today. It's a perfect fit and probably took about 5 minutes to fit. The only thing you need to watch out for is this: after you undo the two screws and lift the silver aluminium latch off, a screw will try to pop out of it. It's quite easy to keep it in place though.

Complete assembly looks like this (you don't need to take it off the bike, this is a photo from another occasion):

The actual replacement part we're talking about looks like this:

I'll copy out the description from the eBay listing too, in case anyone comes across this in the future and needs to search for it.

Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki & Yamaha - Fuel Filler Cap Seal

Water in the fuel tank ? You are buying a new fuel filler cap seal. When the filler cap is closed this seals against the fuel tank filler neck. The seal is supplied bonded to the plated steel dished plate and is a direct swap for the original part. It is supplied with no springs and original parts are required to be reused. The third and forth pictures on this listing are of a complete filler cap just to show where the seal fits. This listing is not for a complete filler cap ! There is only one shipping charge for any number of seals purchased. (Stock Ref J005)

Please check the sizes shown below to ensure that they match you bikes fuel cap seal before purchasing. Thank you.

Sizes:  Rubber Seal Outer Diameter 52mm, Rubber Seal Lip Thickness 3.00mm, Rubber Seal Total Thickness 7.00mm, Steel Insert Tapered from 43mm diameter to 40mm diameter, Total Thickness 14mm, Cut Out Slot in Steel Plate is 18.25mm wide x 32.5mm long (to end of radius).

[Thanks to GrahamS for the heads-up about this!!  :ty:]

Offline Backdated

• Bike: V Strom 650 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 15:25:01 »
Just found the same part on eBay, but advertised as for Triumph Trophy. Sold by Sprint Manufacturing Ltd of Warminster. Same part number in the description as quoted in this thread. No more fumes 🤞 !

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 11:22:29 »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I've been meaning to try and sort the perished seal on my K7 Vee for a year or so now but had given up due to Suzuki not selling the seal seperately.
Any issues with dismantling the lock mechanism to fit this or was it relatively straight forward. Other than blocking the fuel filler, I've dropped an allen key in there before and had to remove the fuel pump, I hope I've lived and learned ;)

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 13:38:46 »
To save any bits falling in the tank I find the cleanest and easiest way is to open the fuel cap, the cover the tank 'hole' with a large piece of cling film.   Beats an oily rag!  🤣🤣
Never too old to ride!

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 21:04:11 »
Thank you for the thread! I haven’t smelled any fuel but as mine will be original (2005) I thought I better change. So ordered from the link and will fit this weekend  :)
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 15:17:21 »
Very easy to replace, just be careful with the little springs! Using cling film over the opening was a great suggestion, so thank you Keith60.

Undo the two retaining screws, then when lifting off the latch be careful of the first black spring.
Remove the cover plate/washer
Lift off the old seal, but again be very careful as there are 4 little brass springs just waiting to fly off!
Take the old spring ring off the old seal, fit to new seal and slide back on, checking it moves freely.
Fit the cover plate, then carefully position the black spring within the latch and place in position.
Fit the 2 retaining screws and celebrate with a job well done!

The seal was actually advertised on eBay for a "Triumph Daytona 750 / 900 / 1000 & 1200 Fuel Filler Petrol Cap Seal", but it was a perfect match.  :)

DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 20:08:42 »
May I point out you can remove the whole filler cap by removing the bolts around the cap.

Saves fishing out the bits from the tank and you can do the work at the table/bench in relative comfort.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 00:52:05 »
If I recall correctly, the Bandit one I did only used half the bolts to hold it on, the rest to keep it together.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!