Author Topic: Storm exhausts  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
Storm exhausts
« on: October 04, 2021, 19:57:41 »
Hello all.
Anyone tried a Storm/MIVV exhaust system?
I decided to order one as the spec looked good: it can be fitted with C/Stand in place and the price is really keen! From Italy, so may even have E markings.
Delkevic seem to have some bad press, and whilst their delightful lady states that the device can be fitted with C/Stand, their web site clearly says 'No'.
Fuel don't make systems for later V-Strom DL650 - 2017 on - as sales were too low. Other makes: Arrow etc., are way too expensive.
I hear what people say about not needing anything more than a standard system, but come on! Not happy with an engine that sounds a bit like a sewing machine.
The Storm has removable baffles, and no CAT, so eliminating the O2 sensor as well will increase performance (tried this on the Tiger Explorer and wow, what a difference).
Storm arriving this week, so I will report back once installed...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
Re: Storm exhausts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 21:03:16 »
Looking forward to your update - will you be able to record the sound before and after in similar situations (please..)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 15:57:55 »
Ditto wot he said!  :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 16:09:30 »
Have a Mivv system on my '07 Vee, came on it when I bought it.
Quality seems really good, it's a fair few years old now and everything on it still looks like new after a bit of autosol on the link pipes and regular cleaning. I have the carbon silencers which I've heard people say have a more muted tone than the brightness of a metal can, makes sense in my head but may just as easily be bunkum.
The baffles are curved internally so they make a massive difference. Baffles out they bellow so I wouldn't run them that way nowadays, baffles in they give a nice tone, plenty of growl on the throttle but minimal noise when cruising at a constant speed. They are most definitely E marked as well.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 18:51:00 »
Update! Storm arrived in UK a couple of days ago, and was held by the Courier as tax had to be paid!!!  :icon_exclaim:
Went and collected it today, after paying £81.28!!! Import Duty £10.49, Handling Fee £12.00, and VAT £58.79.  :groan:
Looks good quality but yet to be fitted. Small straight baffle supplied, but that can be change for a better one if needed. Yes, E marked so EU tour next year is on without too much worry...  :smirk:
Only (slight) disappointment is the discolouration (burn marks) around some welds, but they will clean up.  :icon_no:
Nice mounting bracket which will fit the bike without the awful 'strap'  system.
I'll record the sound from the standard unit, and then again after fitting the Storm...

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 07:45:39 »
Do remember to share a few pix of the install steps. Good luck.

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 09:12:33 »
Thanks Champy !

Offline Champy72

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 23:10:54 »
Quick update...
The pipes fitted like a glove! Excellent. Hardest part was removing the existing standard unit - had to loosen the front down pipe to facilitate.
The pipes run well clear of the Centre Stand, and when the whole thing installed, it looks like a quality product that was engineered for the bike.

Downer - the pipe clamps were just too small to fit, and have had to source new ones.

The baffle fits at the beginning of the box, and is really easy to take in and out (remove mounting bolt and unclip spring.

Mea Culpa. I didn't record the sound of the original on a run - only stationary.
I forgot to photograph the stages of install, but in fairness it is very straightforward.
I will take it out and get my partner to record a run with baffle in and out. (I have a feeling that it will be too loud without, and may even need a tail pipe baffle as well - we shall see).

Oh, anyone need a really good condition standard exhaust system? No scratches/dents etc... :grin:

Offline Champy72

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 16:56:16 »
Still yet to sort out videos, but after trialling the exhaust both with/without the centre baffle on fast dual carriageways and country roads, I have come to the conclusion that with baffle is more suitable for my tastes.
Without the baffle, the exhaust note is fine, and only roars under hard acceleration. However, at touring speeds of 80-85mph in a foreign country, the noise is uncomfortably loud.
With the baffle, it is slightly less loud in all situations, but at touring speeds, absolutely pleasant!
Sorted!