Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Mac1

• Bike: DL650, Harley Fatboy
Battery drain
« on: March 27, 2021, 22:10:10 »
Just asking. My 650 has a big drain on the battery on starter button. Thankfully it starts but the lights dim and I think if it didn't kick in straight away it would struggle. Tested the battery and it is fine so wondering what might be taking so much power. Any ideas folks?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Battery drain
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 22:20:01 »
On the L2 the starter button cuts the headlights while cranking. Are you sure this isn't what you are observing?

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 23:58:19 »
It's a good idea to fit a headlight relay kit to protect your starter switch.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:32:18 »
For a better understanding on how the starter switch cuts off the headlights, there is nothing better than a pix or two. If you have time, have a look at https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/how-the-start-switch-starts-the-engine-and-disconnects-the-headlights.390257/. This is one of the sites that has info on the starter switch of the older model DL650. The info basically applies to most of the other model V-Strom as well. Hence the suggestion for the relay kit http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html. If you have the skills, you can make your own relay kit or source a kit locally.

Offline clutchspring

• Bike: DL1000XT M0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 08:07:29 »
Have you done basic check's, are the battery cables tight, is the negative cable tight wear it's bolted to the bike.
When you say you've checked the battery don't forget that it may be showing correctly when fully charged but as soon as you put it under load it may show a problem like a dead sell ..
I had a similar problem with  one of my bike's mine was reluctant to start  head light dimming dash lights dimming, I thought it was the battery fitted new one still the same. It turned out to be the starter motor brushes not making a good contact a couple of minutes with a round file did the trick & 25,000 miles later still OK.

Ian.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 10:25:15 »
What Ian said ... ☝️ :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂