Author Topic: Not meant to be a stupid question but......  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Fishtail

• Bike: DL1050XT
Re: Not meant to be a stupid question but......
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 09:44:57 »
I've only ever had a "Beaky" Vstrom and it's looks were what first drew me to it walking around the bike supermarket where I bought it. Every time I look at a "Beakless" Vstrom I think it's like looking at Voldemort without a nose, and no good came of that.  :stirpot:
Nod if you're passing!

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 12:32:58 »
Hmm. I'd guessed that the centre of gravity was low having sat on one - certainly felt like it compared to my CBF1000.
I'm not fussed about the look of a bike at all. It's in the garage or I'm on it. If buying a used one I'd be a bit fussy, but service history would be way more important. I've had a few Suzuki's so know how rubbish the paintwork is and how fast rust appears.
Thank you all again for the replies and help. A test ride will be arranged soon, although the is a part of me that says just buy one and enjoy living with it (that's how I got the CBF1000, an ebay impulse after a few glasses of wine..)

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 12:43:51 »
COG wise, the bike is higher but the COG within the bars and pegs (ignoring the longer travel suspension) is decent I would say.
Having embarassingly picked up both my old Kwak ZR-7 and my DL1000, I know which was easier and it wasn't the Kwak despite being a lower bike and the same weight, and yes the tank was brimmed on both when it happened ;)
Yeah the paint is a bit thin and the fasteners used to be less than perfect.
I do wonder if 'part' of the problem is that Suzukis have always been attractively priced vs their rivals and so owners are perhaps less precious about Concours level cleaning and anti-corrosion treating than they would be on £20k worth of Harley or Beemer. Don't get me wrong, I do think premium priced bikes are finished better but I also think there's a user care element in play as well.
Mine arrived second hand with a spot of corrosion on the engine casings underneath but everything in view was pristine after 13 years. Liberal use of ACF-50 and a regular cleaning regime will keep it like new for as long as you can be arsed to keep that up ;)

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 17:12:36 »
As regards 1000 vs 650 power I can see the sense in slowing down as we get older (although I seem to go the other way  :grin:) but you may find the smaller engine a bit weak when you need to overtake quick. I accept this when I jump on the DL and hang back more than on my ZZR. Having said that, I've just got back from a ride on the V-Strom and it really is a nimble machine. I would imagine the biggest difference between your litre bike would be gear changes at 5,6,7k revs rather than 3,4,5k (or 4,5,6k, depending how you ride) on the Honda. Test rides less easy at the moment. If you want my advice.....don't worry - buy a 650 over the phone! You'll love it. I did that with my Kawasaki a couple of months back. No regrets. Life's too short.  :)

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 18:01:07 »
Sea strom - you are so right about life being too short. Many years ago I had a big smash when a drunk driver drove into me, and 17 ops later with more lined up once covid allows, and my best friend dying earlier this year is why I'm doing this. There may not be a tomorrow one day and what a shame to have not enjoyed life as much as you could.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 22:05:33 »
I have a 2014 Vstrom 1000 but having done several trips with a mate on his 2015 Vstrom 650 I would have no hesistation in recommending them.  The motor is a smooth peach (more so than my 1000 although I like a bit of rumble), his fuel economy is tremendous and his 22 litre tank means he can sit effortlessly on an indicated 120kph all day and still get to almost 500 kms to a tank. The seat height suits him well - he's 173cms, 5'8" in the old money.  We do plenty of light off road for several 100s of kms at a time.
Best of all we don't have weather that sees the fasteners go off. The bike may see a shower while riding - maybe twice a year and it's usually dry by the time he's home to the garage.
I see minimal to zero risk if you buy a decent used 650. They don't seem to attract wheelie/stoppie merchants. Sensible bike for sensible folk.
A comprehensive visual check and make sure any recalls have been done and you're there!

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 22:29:18 »
    Steve, don’t make the same mistake that I did.At the end of last year I bought a 2012 Glee online from a large dealer in the South-East,the bike looked great in all of the photos, so I did the deal.The bike was delivered on a Saturday afternoon in the dark,I gave it a quick once over in my garage, ran it and it sounded OK so I signed the delivery note.Next morning I looked over the bike and was very disappointed, the body work was good but under the shine, the bike had been neglected showing salt corrosion.I made a list of what wanted doing to get it up to my standard and sent it to the seller with a copy to the branch manager, we came to an agreement and they transferred an amount back into my bank to compensate for my costs.The bike looks well now and the engine sounds a peach,so I am looking forward to getting out on it.This is the first and last time I will ever buy a vehicle of any sort unseen.Good luck in your search.
Ian Mc.

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 22:44:28 »
Agree with that wholehartedly re used bikes Ian Mc. But buying new from a distance is becoming much more acceptable. Apart from not being able to go back for teething troubles if bought from a distance I would have no problem in buying another new bike unseen. But unless a lot cheaper or other circumstances (eg lockdown!!) I usually try to buy from a local dealer I know. Deals are getting better and sometimes it makes more sense to buy new. I had the opportunity to buy my old Glee back for £4800 cash. It had 2 more owners (I had it from new) and was lowish mileage. However I bought a brand new model which after test riding both, realised was much improved, for £7k interest free. In my mind - a better deal. Pre reg deals are the ones to go for sometimes too. I've tended to buy new bikes over the last few years but in the past had many excellent used machines and a few shockers. 

Offline CanadaWeeStrom

• Bike: DL650XT L7
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 14:05:54 »
Last fall I purchased a new unsold 2017 V-strom 650 from a dealer in another city. The bike came with the full 5 year Suzuki warranty and was delivered to my door in a covered trailer. The entire transaction was done online. When the delivery driver opened the trailer it was full of brand new and used bikes  destined for various cities all over Canada. The driver figured he would be on the road for a couple of weeks getting them all delivered. He unloaded the bike and I had all the time I needed to go over the bike from front to back to check for any damage while the driver waited in the truck. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do this again for a brand new bike and in some ways I preferred it to doing an in-person purchase. A used bike might be different although this dealer will send you all of the photos and videos of the bike you are considering so you can have a good look before you pull the trigger. I don't think this is the end of dealers as we know it but I think more and more dealers will offer this as an option for purchase.

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 19:32:35 »
Wow, unsold 4 year old new bike! I don't think they hang around that long in the UK!

I agree with your shifting buying habits comment. Also, to get a part ex price now the dealers often go straight on to the Auto Trader website and see what prices are being asked nationwide. Of course we can do that as well so it's less easy for them to pull the wool like in the old Glasses Guide days!

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 09:24:28 »
OK, more questions, and thanks to you all for the help and replies so far...!
The idea of a new bike is so appealing, but the money is such a factor here, and once I've paid for any extra bits would be prohibitive, so it's looking like a used bike for me. It would also be a LOT easier to get some sort of approval from my wife without having to tell too many porkies..!
I've had a quick look at the recommended dealer section and will look further later, but these bikes all look OK to me, has anyone had any recent dealings with any of the dealers ?
I think I'm right in saying that the only differences between a 2017 and a new one are cosmetic ?

https://bikes.colinappleyard.com/used-motorbikes/2017-Suzuki-v-strom-650-650-abs-pl17ezc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Suzuki-DL650-V-Strom-Yellow-3950-mls-Mint-condition-Top-box-belly-pan/264973097385?hash=item3db1a099a9:g:pK4AAOSwLYVf13ri

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203297043582?mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=3&campid=5337202416&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Would you buy any of these?
Have to say that I like the yellow despite what I said about not really caring about how a bike looks !

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:42 »
If you look locally, you may find one up in Camborne (Anton Parris Motorcycles) or Damarell's in Indian Queens. Bridge Motorcycles are advertising a '69 plate DL650 with v low mileage - their s/hand prices are always negotiable. Mine was a trade in from Total Triumph in Taunton - great bike with two previous owners who'd generously put some handy bits on it that I'd have had to pay for otherwise!
Good luck in your quest. You won't be disappointed with a 650 V Strom.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2021, 10:38:52 »
Going out on a limb here, but do you like yellow by chance?
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2021, 17:23:49 »
When buying used the value of your bike after you ride away, will be a lot less than you paid due to dealer mark up, obviously. There are several valuation sites online so it might be worth checking how much your hit is likely to be. With used you have to pay cash or higher hp than new usually. I personally would not buy used if it was only up to £1k less than new. Demo bikes are a no no as you don't know how they have been broken in, if at all. A 3 year old bike for about £2k less seems sensible. Can't see the point buy very nearly new when the dealer wants to charge a  too high price then you take the depreciation hit for him! For that reason 3 year old bikes are usually better bets than 1 year old (ish). be sure that you know the current discount price of the cheapest 650 nationally - the dealers will all know this! It is possible to buy a nearly new or demo bike for more than a discounted new one. It pays to be savvy.

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 13:42:53 »
Just to finish off this thread I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has helped, and that I have just paid a deposit on a 2017 650. It'll be a while before I get it as it has to be transported down to me, but expect a bunch of fairly predictable questions in the near future....