Author Topic: Oil filter tension  (Read 647 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Oil filter tension
« on: February 20, 2021, 20:18:22 »
Hi. The manual indicates 20 nm tension. On a normal car, you generally just tension the oilfiler as much as you can with your hands.

After I tightened the filter with my hand, I could still turn the filter with the wrench before it reached 20 nm. Do you tension the filter as it says in the manual?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Oil filter tension
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 20:25:49 »
Tightening the filter with your hands is normally enough but the filter can be tightened beyond that. Best advice would be to give it another half turn with the right tool . 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 21:11:20 »
The older model states a certain number of turns or part turns after the gasket his metal. It was achievable by hand but a real struggle so would have been better done with a wrench. I followed the instructions and have never had an issue with leaking.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 21:39:30 »
Personally I've never put a torque wrench on either bike or car filter. I do it up hand tight and then a quarter turn. I then check to see it's not leaking after running the engine or after a test ride/drive and I rarely have to tweak it any more.

Bike filters are easier to get at usually and therefore see if it's weeping. I've always been wary of the relatively thin external filter envelope. I remember often putting a screwdriver into one to get it off because it was too tight. I now have chain, finger and strap wrenches to choose between, no socket or purpose made tool to do it.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 23:16:13 »
I have serviced my own cars and bikes for the past 30 years (taught by my Dad - mechanic), a good hand-tight plus 1/4 turn as Joe says & a check when next out / the engine has cooled down for any leaks, never had any.
I have sockets (car element filters) and a chain for when removing filters fitted by others...
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:58:36 »
I would say that it would rather depend on the oil filter o-ring seal profile / shape. An o-ring seal profile has to be torque flatten to a degree, to make a good / perfect seal. The oil seal profile of some oil filter brands are slightly rounded / higher profile, where as on other brands, this o-ring profile is almost flat in shape. It stands to reason that the flatter shape profile would require less flattening torque to make a good seal.

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:55:32 »
Good point. This filter has a rounded print, but I recall others I have seen with a flat one, as you describe.

I have torqued it to the 20 nm as indicated in the manual... Was just worried if it was too much as I normally just tighten with the hand.