Author Topic: Helmets and Bluetooth - advice please!  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Mr. T

Helmets and Bluetooth - advice please!
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:54:54 »
Hello fellow stromers, my Viper RSV-99 bluetooth unit is playing up, so much so that I was undisturbed by phone calls on my trip to Melton Mowbray yesterday, and enjoyed my pork pie with the voicemail of 6 missed calls! So, any advice on the following:
1. Anyone know about repairing in-lid blue-tooth kits, who does it, how much etc....

2. As lid is now 3.5 years old, I might buy a new one (subject to answers to 1). What are good lids with bluetooth already installed?

3. Subject to 1 and 2, I might buy a non bluetooth lid and add an external bluetooth unit, anyone else done this, what's good, where are the best deals?

Thanks
Mr. T
Mr.T a "Dad-cabs" veteran, available at competitive rates and, apparently,  24/7 * 365!!

Offline baz tarred

• Bike: Vstrom 800re
Re: Helmets and Bluetooth - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 15:16:01 »
I have the inter moto bluetooth set with an Arai helmet, works great bike to bike or rider to pillion,up to half a mile range bike to bike and 9hours talk time just as the maker claims which makes a nice change. can't speak for phone calls but it works fine for the music.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:30 »
Just a quickie, my Viper (same helmet) got a bit crackly then one ear stopped working. It was just the little wire to the speaker that had broken and two minutes with a soldering iron sorted it. I wasn't going deaf at all!

waldy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:09:01 »
A couple of years ago I bought the new Dainese D-Nect helmet, its totally built in, Sadly despite what I was told it was total rubbish, is of a very poor quality ( speaker wise etc ) and should be avoided at all cost. I took mine back for a full refund. Now use a Arai Viper GT lid and Cardo Scala headset which is really good quality. and is a good option, go for the twin speaker option headset as it makes a massive difference.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 14:44:24 »
That's useful info, Waldy, I wondered if they were any good.

Didn't Dainese at one point offer a helmet comms system with bike to bike at up to a Kilometer or similar?

Offline Mr. T

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 14:58:55 »
Thanks for your advice everyone. Talking with other mates off V-Strom site, I decided to get the lid I wanted, then sort Bluetooth. I have found a deal on a new Caberg Justissimo GT (£99 at George White), which I've bought, and a Bol-08 fits-anything bluetooth system for £25 on ebay. I figure if the Bol isn't any good, I can get a Navrider or Cabergs bespoke in due course. I'll let you know how both go once I've put them together next week.
Take care.
Mr.T a "Dad-cabs" veteran, available at competitive rates and, apparently,  24/7 * 365!!

Offline Heebeegeebee

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 13:49:31 »
Opera, just what the world needs, more fat women screaming

Offline Mr. T

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:36 »
An update: I've had the Justissimo and the Bol paired for about 2 weeks now and my comments are as follows:
Great lid - very flexible, with flip front, good padding/sound proofing (better than my old V2) loads of vents, and the internal sun visor. Only negative is that it still mists up a bit when its very cold.
Adequate performance from the Bol-08, it paired OK with my phone and automatically answers incoming calls, and allows me to re-dial at the touch of a button. Battery life is good, fitting was a doddle. I can't get music from my phone to the bluetooth though, and I don't have a separate sav-nav, so I can't check that. It has auto-volume adjustment, and can be a bit quiet at speed, but slowing down a bit cures this. For £25 no complaints!

My lovely wife also bought me a Bol on ebay, so I have a spare if anyone is looking for one. Not sure what this says about our communications, but its the thought that counts!!

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 13:21:23 »
I just bought one of those Duchinni D909 full face helmets with the bluetooth stuff installed.
Took about 5 minutes to get it working with my phone etc. has one of those black sunvisors inside as well

Very impressed, nice and quiet on the bike (visor open) , only thing was I bought the matt black one, and it is ever so markable. I'd suggest the silver one.

For 130 quid from J & S , bargain.