Author Topic: Fitting a Fuel Exhaust  (Read 896 times)

Offline martind

• Bike: DL650GT L3
Fitting a Fuel Exhaust
« on: September 30, 2020, 12:22:08 »
After procrastinating for way too long, I have finally got around to buying a Fuel Exhaust (looking forward to hearing the engine!)…. :auto-dirtbike:

Anyhow, how difficult is it to fit one and any tips?

My mechanical knowledge is vast. I've even managed to change the oil and filter myself - and adjust the chain.  lol

I'm really busy with work, so spare time is precious. I asked a local mechanic how much to fit it when I take it in for an MOT and he quoted 2 hours & £100 - which seemed steep to me (Dad was born in Yorkshire).

Thank you in advance.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Fitting a Fuel Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:00 »
I just did the full system on my DL1000 and it's not super hard although patience is definitely your friend.
Only tips I'd go with are:
- From the looks of the pictures on the Fuel site, you'll be doing away with the exhaust connector gaskets which Suzuki fit in between the header pipes and the collector/link pipe. These should either slide off the header pipes or crumble into nothing dependant on age. Give the header pipe stubs a bit of a clean if there's any gasket residue left over as the new system will be slipping on metal to metal and you want a smooth interface if possible.
- Use a smear of exhaust assembly paste on the joints, everything will slide together more easily and the paste then fires to make a really good seal to prevent tiny leaks and subsequent corrosion welding of the connections. Ultra-high temperature silicone may be OK for the end can but it will burn to a crisp on the connections nearer the engine. It also goes gummy and messy if you ever need to remove things so the paste is a better bet in my experience.
- Assemble everything with fasteners finger tight at first so you can jiggle things a little to get the best seating of all connections.
- You should be fine doing the job solo but an extra pair of hands can be helpful to hold the link pipes in place whilst you connect the end can.
- An OTT luxury but my system was on the bike second hand and the exhaust clamps supplied by the manufacturer were stainless bands but standard bolts (W2) and the bolts had corroded fairly badly given where they are on the bike. I replaced all the clamps on my system with fully stainless ones (W4). It cost a few quid extra but I know I shouldn't have one fail or seize in a really awkward position in future.
- If for any reason you need to detach the springs (you shouldn't need to) then be prepared to lose a finger, an eye, hell maybe even a leg :)

Good luck, get the kettle on and enjoy the wrenching time  :fix:

Online Rixington43

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 14:56:29 »
Maybe someone with experience of your actual bike can comment on whether or not you need to remove the front down pipe.
If you do then the front bolts can be a problem although mine were easy after a quick soak in release oil and a spray of Shock Unlock.
I also chose to replace the front cylinder gasket since it is a copper crush item and my bike is 13 years old.

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 22:29:42 »
Just a quick tip if you need to stretch springs to fit somewhere like this  (or even centre stand springs) is to pack the spring coils with coins to spread them out a bit.
(Or if from Yorkshire use washers)
In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"

Online Rixington43

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 22:39:35 »
Top tip that, thanks. I've also heard of using a length of wire to pull on the spring loop and then just slide the wire out once the spring is seated properly.
I did neither of these things last month when shimming my side stand and full bore punched the centre stand whilst holding pliers.
I think that qualifies as learning the hard way 😬.

Offline martind

• Bike: DL650GT L3
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 11:03:34 »
Great, thank you for the tips.

Hopefully the exhaust will arrive today and I’ll have a good read through the instructions first

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 19:55:53 »
buy a spring puller , the best £8 you ever spend you'll thank me later  :)

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 08:16:31 »
I fitted a Fuel system to my 2014 bike and it was pretty straightforward. It only stayed on a couple of rides as the noise was bloody annoying, even with the baffles in place.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 20:52:52 »
Exhaust noise can be irritating. What was more annoying, was the numpty who opened his van door on me passing with the standard exhaust, cos he just did not hear it! Luckily I swerved to avoid being thrown across in front of an oncoming vehicle! Agreed drivers should check their mirrors before getting out but in the real world.....bring on the noise!