Author Topic: Topbox woes sorted  (Read 695 times)

Offline goldstromboy

• Bike: DL650XT
Topbox woes sorted
« on: September 04, 2020, 21:04:18 »
Wife was complaining that the givi topbox backrest was sitting her too far forward.......but would still like some backrest fitted.. :roll:......this is what I have done......take off cover...remove padding..... reduce thickness by cutting away approx 1/2 to 3/4 ".....refit cover .......when refitting to topbox ( with clear silicone no drilling of topbox ), I positioned the pad slightly higher , this allows the top lip of the pad to go over the topbox lid and in doing so sits the pad flatter against the topbox.....it takes away the "hump" effect which seems to be the problem.........50 mile test today...all is good.... :text-bravo:........

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Topbox woes sorted
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 07:19:25 »
Well done. Do you have a pix of the topbox with the lid open? How much clearance does the backrest have in respect to the lid hinge?

Offline goldstromboy

• Bike: DL650XT
Re: Topbox woes sorted
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 18:54:41 »
Topbox opens as usual.....I have only raised backrest position by approx 3/4 inch....others may differ....its wherever it feels right for your passenger......the main reason this works is getting rid of that hump shape in the backrest......this , I believe is the reason the passenger feels pushed forward....my backrest now has a much more flatter profile....happy days :)