Author Topic: First Ride out of the year  (Read 1085 times)

Offline dogpuf

First Ride out of the year
« on: March 07, 2010, 20:52:09 »
I know I'm a fair weather rider these days but as today was such a good forecast I made the effort and dragged my Strom out of the garage and prepared it for a ride

I went round it checking fluid levels and pumped the tyres up to 36/42 that I usually have them set at being a big Lad. Checked my Scotoiler - I had fitted a new tube over winter so I filled the reservoir with oil and set it on high to encourage a bit of flow.

Searched out my Helmet and gloves, Jacket & pants and trusty Daytona GTX boots. I've lost some weight over winter so It was nice to find them a tad slack and nice and comfy.

Lastly I popped my tank bag on, clipped on the Sat Nav and set off. Absolutely fantastic to get on the Strom again, too feel thw wind rush past and the superb v-twin engine beneath me.

I must of nearly ran it dry back in October when I parked it up as the reserve light was flasking so I headed straight away for the nearest petty station and filled up - It took 20 litres so there wasn't much left in  :shock:

I kept to the back roads and rode from Buttercrambe to Malton on a brill twisty road. I had a quick check of the Scot oiler tube and the oil was moving down it nicely. I then rode from Malton to Fridaythorpe on the B1248 another brill road. I had planned to stop for a cuppa at the Seaways cafe at Fridaythorpe but it was full to bursting and they were queuing for miles to get a drink. So I turned onto Bridlington road and made a strike for home. I had forgot all about the Scottoiler in my disappointment in not getting a cuppa and when I got home there was oil all over the left of my bike - Bugger. Not recommended but at least the chain was nicely oiled. I only rode about 60 miles but it was enough to get a wide smile on my face and to get cold enough to be glad to be home for a cuppa

Can't wait for the next ride

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline V-Strom-Mark

Re: First Ride out of the year
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 22:35:03 »
Sounds like a good ride. :thumb:  I did 177kms today but it was only about 6deg.C so I was glad to get back!  What was the cause of all of the oil on the bike?  Just too high a flow rate?  I have been thinking of getting a Scottoiler as I hate chain maintenance!!!! :GRR:   OK, who yelled 'WIMP'?
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline GrandadsV

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 22:45:58 »
Quote from: "dogpuf"
I've lost some weight over winter so It was nice to find them a tad slack and nice and comfy.
Lee
Lee, you do realise you have just let the whole forum down :tut:  :tut:  :wink:
Dick

"Spike Malignant" That well known typing error.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 23:19:55 »
Quote from: "V-Strom-Mark"
Sounds like a good ride. :thumb:  I did 177kms today but it was only about 6deg.C so I was glad to get back!  What was the cause of all of the oil on the bike?  Just too high a flow rate?  I have been thinking of getting a Scottoiler as I hate chain maintenance!!!! :GRR:   OK, who yelled 'WIMP'?

Yes just too high a flow rate - once its installed and setup it only needs to be on a low setting. I recommend fitting  one

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 23:41:40 »
Thanks Lee, another item to add to the list! :thumb:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline ilenny20

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:13 »
I took advantage of the good weather and the wife going shopping to get the bike out.
I headed towards York and just kept going it was well worth the chill.
I kept mainly to country roads purely to get the feel of the Vee again and then headed towards the M62 and ran it back home, 3 hours later. It was great to be biking again after so long away due to weather conditions.
Here's to no more snow or ice.

Offline dooce

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:21:52 »
I did a quick blat to Stratford, 70 mile round trip, which was heaving with day-trippers and bikes. One thing I had not been looking forward to was riding a bike on the shite frost-damaged roads but the Strom just soaked up the potholes and ruts with no bother. So different from driving my Mondeo with stupid low-profile tyres and wheels which crash into every minor surface blemish with a shudder that gets you wondering if the suspension is falling off.

Great real-world bike, the VStrom. :thumb:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 17:47:17 »
Yes, it's good to get out again, had great sunday spin up to Berwick via Wooler (still plenty of snow) and back down the coast. Almost like summer apart from it not getting over 9 degrees, spring is here  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 19:17:34 »
I decided to take the otherhalf's bike today as it hasn't been ridden for almost a month( it's a gpz500s)
I hadn't realised how bad the roads are. The Strom just takes it in it's stride, the gpz was all over the place.
The Strom is still making me grin after nearly 3 years, and it's only been in the garage for 2 weeks over the new year when it was too icy to ride.  Did manage a ride for pleasure last Friday, did abot 75 miles on the Strom and about the same on a KTM 990 Adventure demo bike. Good but not good enough to make me part with the Strom
Darren