Author Topic: Replacement pillion footrests for 09 DL650?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
Replacement pillion footrests for 09 DL650?
« on: July 13, 2020, 18:18:44 »
Bev is short of leg and has to mount the bike by climbing on left-hand pillion peg and swinging leg over (have substantial panniers in way too) which often causes the pillion peg rubber to twist round (sometimes causing an uncomfortable slip).

Been this way on all bikes. I end up cable tying rubber on, but it doesn't work for long, so...has anyone fitted aftermarket, alloy tube type pegs or the like to rear of a wee? Just wondering if any options.

Unfortunately the front ones are a different size otherwise that would be ideal.

Tried measuring all me other bikes (hardly a museums worth  :whistle:) but naturally nowt fits.

Guess I may have to bodge something, perhaps get a s/h standard one, remove rubber and attach a mountain bike peddle cage or something.

Any thought welcome :thumb:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Replacement pillion footrests for 09 DL650?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 19:02:13 »
Not to everyone's taste, but have a look 2 minutes 40 into

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 19:37:25 »
My wife has a bad left knee and cannot twist it, or risk twisting it, so when she gets on the bike she puts her left foot onto the rear peg facing forwards as much as possible, then, with her left hand on my left shoulder and gripping the rack (fitted for the purpose) on the back box with her right hand she can pull herself up, she then does the smallest of hops, taking some of her weight via me and the back box to completely straighten the left foot, then puts the right leg over the seat and onto the right peg. She does the same if the panniers are fitted. 
She's been doing this now for seven years, on this bike, and has been on the back for the majority of the 40k the bike has done and there is no serious damage to the rubber, a bit of wear yes, but not bad. 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:17:32 »
Thanks folks.

I have to say, hideous though it is  :grin:, I can see significant advantages to the footboard. I wonder if 'dabbing' on rough ground might cause potential heel bite for the rider, but I can see advantages.

Helpfully it gives me some ideas for mods...may be able to find a s/h pillion footrest on eBay, in fact one (NOS) on at mo for £15   :clap:

I was wondering if there is something more like this I could use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-front-footpegs-For-BMW-G310GS-17-18-R1200GS-13-17-S1000XR-15-17-Pegs-AY-/402304884486?nma=true&si=4EvObwpYxtQ6qJRt8MB8mFgqCHU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 but as rider pegs are different to pillion I can't see them being available.

It's always been an (occasional) problem for Bev on several bikes over a few hundred thousand miles. As I'm sat on front I don't see her mounting style but I'll check,  it's pretty much the standard style I guess  :thumb:

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 23:08:23 »
We had this problem some years ago while touring Scotland in the rain on a CBF 1000 when the rear foot peg rubber came right off sending the wife crashing into the bike and me nearly dropping it.

I bought some GS 500 rider pegs and with a bit of modifying fitted them to the Honda and as many subsequent bikes that they would fit.

I now have them on the V-strom 1000 and the wife finds them better than the stock pegs and they have been totally reliable.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 11:50:12 »
Just a thought, why don't you just leave the when you get home. Oh, and a nice cool beer to wash dinner down while you watch the films you made on the ride.

This may also be a good time for your wife to give the bike a quick wash over (tell her not to use kitchen/bathroom products) before you get out to give her a proper clean later while she cleans up after you? You will find it works wonders, women like a bit of order in their boring lives.  :smirk:

Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:24:48 »
Could she not mount the bike as if she was riding with it on side stand then shuffle back into pillion position then you get on after?

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 14:48:52 »
Yes my wife used to do that on a BMW I had which was fitted with panniers and a top box, but she soon got fed up with that and we bought something else without that problem

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 21:50:10 »
Sorry haven't checked back on here ☹️ ta for further advice...some f which I'll not try 🤪 will look out for some pegs off a n other bike, prob best as rider pegs, not a madly urgent issue anyway. Ta 👍