Author Topic: Back to an OEM exhaust?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline ShaunM

• Bike: DL650XT L7
Back to an OEM exhaust?
« on: May 04, 2020, 18:57:13 »
After getting my licence on a 2019 Kawasaki Z650 I bought my first proper bike, a 2017 DL650 XA.  It came with an oval 450mm carbon fibre type exhaust which looks like a Delkevic but isn’t.
Seems my problem may be unusual in that I am looking to go back to an oem exhaust.  The fake “Delkevic” just sounds harsh and too loud.  It’s probably me being a new rider (or my age) but I’d love something quieter.

I’ve seen a complete system on ebay for £85 which seems a reasonable price (?) but it does have a bit of damage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL-650-V-Strom-2016-2018-390-Exhaust-complete-system/153212148437.
There is a second system for a similar price without the damage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Suzuki-DL650-V-Strom-Exhaust-System-2016-TIS-341-2543-28K0/274343518418?hash=item3fe025e0d2%3Ag%3A0EUAAOSwO-9envux&LH_ItemCondition=4  but it doesn’t have the header pipes (?).

So a couple of questions:
    • Are these prices reasonable?
    • Is it likely that the headers on my bike will be original so the system without headers would fit without problem?
    • If I go for  the complete (damaged system), just how involved is it to remove the entire exhaust (what needs to come off to get to the bits bolted to the engine)?
    :ty:

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Back to an OEM exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 19:21:21 »
Have you had a look at the spares listing, https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/Suzuki-parts/2017-dl650axa-v-strom-motorcycles/muffler or similar sites ?

Offline ShaunM

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 19:31:20 »
Thanks Gert, yeah I did have a quick look to see a full system could be over £1000 which was a shock.  Definitely need to go secondhand route.
The fact that the two short pipes (headers?) could be £155 was why I wanted to check whether the two pieces currently on the bike were original so I could utilise the undamaged muffler from Ebay.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 21:22:34 »
I suspect your headers are original, maybe put up an ad in the wanted section, there is probably a fair few original tail cans languishing in sheds around the land !

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 21:26:22 »
 I could however be talking cobblers, are the 650 Exhaust’s all one piece ?

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 21:34:05 »
On Wee and Glee they're not but I've taken the whole system off several times without removing the front header connection to the system, not even loosened. Engine bars get in the way but still possible.  :fix:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline ShaunM

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 22:46:34 »
I think some of my confusion is terminology after hearing that only complete exhaust systems could be fitted to my bike as opposed to ¾ systems?  Perhaps it’s my understanding of how ‘complete’ and ‘¾’ systems differ?  Do both still have separate headers which actually connect the exhaust system to the engine? 
Thank you Relevant11 and Joe Rocket for your input, feels like things are getting a bit clearer.  May put that ad in the wanted section and if anyone has one to sell I can check things through with them.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:40:08 »
Photos of what you have fitted to your bike might help.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 14:28:20 »
Just a guess but, I think most folk change their exhaust just for the look, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some will change to titanium to loose weight (I did once) but probably only a few change because the exhaust is knackered. So, to change for the aforementioned reasons and not make a potentially big job out of it, to say nothing of the massive cost, most probably just change the silencer. I may be wrong as I have done no study of this. can't you just measure the downpipe to see if your OEM silencer will fit even if it is none standard? Just a thought and how my stupidly illogical brain works.     :shy:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline ShaunM

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 14:56:11 »
Hi Doctor 46 – I’d also hoped it was as simple as putting an oem silencer back on the bike but on my AL7 it appears that the silencer and the next length of pipework (midpipe?) is a single welded unit with the only join being where it connects to the headers.
Looks like all I can do is assume that the exhaust I’ll be taking off the bike was using the original oem headers, so a replacement oem exhaust will fit straight back on!
Also, thanks TLPower for the baffle suggestion - I did fit one when I got the bike but it didn’t seem to change things much.  Perhaps I’m after that ultra-quiet non-threatening sewing machine sound I heard someone once describe a standard AL7 as?

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 15:15:33 »
I know a few of you will not agree with this comment but I can not stand noisy exhausts they wind me up on a longer run.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 13:04:10 »
Hello,
My Glee was too quiet when on the move, particularly in town / filtering and I have been previously knocked off at low speed...
This and the fact I can't stand the look of matt black or crappy stainless exhausts meant I went for the 3/4 Delkevic system with the 350mm silencer.
It's a bit bassy / burbly at lower revs and not that much noisier at the top end.
Rode from Kent to Wales and back (300miles) without a headache (or ear-plugs last year) and definitely helped more in getting traffic to notice us / move for the 20 miles of traffic we encountered on the tail end of the M4.
I just would not go back to a quiet exhaust on safety reasons...(and the odd grin)  :thumb:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline Tiff

• Bike: DL650XT L8
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 00:21:28 »
I've just fitted a Delkevic system to my 2017 650XT. The downpipes (headers) stay in place, and I'd assume any company who make an aftermarket system would use the standard downpipes, as they can't really be improved, and are already stainless.The front downpipe would be easy to change, the rear less so as its up behind the shock- joint at the downpipe joint is easy enough to get at though. I would imagine a standard system would just bolt on to what you have. My standard system would be available if it's what you need, I don't think I'd go back from the Delkevic

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 16:49:30 »
You could just get a nice new exhaust of your preference. Such as a long delkevic with the dB killer installed. That will be a nice sound but at a sensible volume.

Offline Tiff

• Bike: DL650XT L8
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 21:50:59 »
Good point- any slip on can should fit. The original exhaust is HEAVY, and mine was showing some rust along the seams already.