Author Topic: Dropped It !!!!!  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Re: Dropped It !!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 12:42:13 »
Happens to us all. Luckily the Strom is indestructable hard to damage.

Went to Germany with a friend a few years back  - me on the Vee GT, him on a new K1300 tourer, he dropped it onto the fuel pumps at the BP before the ferry, again on the ferry, again in Koblenz in a car park & again in the hotel car park. Cost him £1500. Whilst the fairing didn't break, just a decent collection of scratches, the electric windscreen mechanism's frame bent & jammed, needed the whole thing replaced. He didn't want to claim on insurance as he'd only been riding for 2 years (first bike was a VFR800). He's now on a  GS Adventure thingy, seems to have worked out how to keep it mostly upright (especially in the bends  lol).

I dropped mine the same year in the Highlands, pulled into a gravel car park at a hotel, went to do a 180 deg turn, front washed out. No damage except a slight scuff on the end of the handlebar. First drop in 20-odd years, but most likely not my last.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 16:25:59 »
Easily done.

I turned up to Fat Rats August meet a few years back, very wet and boggy and the side stand disappeared as soon as I stepped off.
(And everyone stood they looking at me)  :welcome:  :ty:

I also dropped the Varadero last year after faffing with something while on the centre stand.
I took it off the stand, leant it to the LHS only to discover no side stand.
240kg of Honda (dry) is quite a lot to pick up!  :dl_smiley_banghead:
Engine bars saved everything apart from the bars them selves which needed repainting due to a bit of flaking paint anyway.

The Deauville owners group has a 'Stopped and Dropped' section for owners to own up to the mishap.
You get:
Bronze membership (one drop)
Silver (two drops)
Gold (three +)
Some members did ask for Platinum for 5+.

I only dropped the Deauville once.
That was against the wall in the garage and it scratched the edge of the screen (sanded), bent a screen mount and smashed the mirror.

There are those that haven't dropped a bike 'yet'
And those that say they haven't are liars!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 22:24:23 »
It brings forward a question I’ve been pondering on......do pannier racks act like crash bars and did they save further damage at the rear of the bike?   :shrug:
Never too old to ride!

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 23:04:41 »
When I dropped mine I didn't have the panniers on but I didn't notice any stuffs or damage to the racks. The front end is wider so will take the brunt of the drop I suspect.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 00:13:05 »
Usually you find the bars don't touch the ground unless it's quite uneven ground, but the mounting lugs do.

I've seen a few while at the dealers where people have bined a bike at low speed with pannier frames and no boxes. The lugs get worn down but the framework barely gets touched... unless the bike bounces.

Ride Coordinator

Offline bladeowner

• Bike: DL650 L9, Honda Fireblade RRY
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 01:34:34 »
I was with some other bikes on my fully laden Fireblade going on a camping trip to The Lakes. We stopped for Petrol. I'd put my helmet on the offside mirror. After paying, I thought I'd wheel the bike over to the others. As I moved the bike the helmet started to fall and in my attempt to save the helmet I lost the bike. Luckily the soft panniers cushioned the blow and no damage done. As I was leading the ride it was a tad embarrassing though.

Offline welldc

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 09:22:04 »
Glad I'm not in a club of one!
Quite lucky, I think.
N/S indicator broke as it hit the ground 'end on', so didn't flex. A few scuffs to the hand guard and mirror.
Not a mark on the engine bars, pannier frame or bodywork.

Biggest shock was how heavy it gets beyond a certain point. Not a chance of saving it.