Author Topic: Chain and sprockets  (Read 715 times)

Offline JustaTwist

• Bike: DL650 K7, Hornet 600
Chain and sprockets
« on: March 24, 2020, 22:40:52 »
So this subject has probably been done to death but one more surely can’t hurt!
Anyway, noticed a few stuff links on my chain and upon further inspection realised it’s the original chain and sprockets, 2007 DL650 with 23k miles.
So, first of all can anyone recommend a decent chain and sprockets set and secondly, should I take the opportunity to go up/down a few teeth?
I only really use the bike for commuting to work so would I see any benefit? If I did change the sprocket size, would I need to get the Speedo recalibrated?

Thanks

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 06:34:32 »
The speedo pick-up sensor for the 2004 - 2011 Wee is located on the front wheel, so changing sprockets will not change the speedo readings. You will however see a difference in the rpm vs the speed from the stock set-up when changing the size of the front or rear sprocket. For example, a 16 tooth front will lower the rpm by about 480 rpm on each gear, but you may have to slip the clutch for pull away when in slow moving traffic. On the other hand, a 14 tooth front sprocket will increase the rpm slightly in each gear, which is better for slow speed maneuvering.