Author Topic: Spoked wheels  (Read 866 times)

Offline Colgee1971

• Bike: V Strom 650 2019
Spoked wheels
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:26:26 »
Hi All,

Have just bought a 2019 DL650, it has now covered 280 miles, the spokes are badly corroded and there are rust spots on the exhaust, jubilee clips and on a few nuts and bolts? is this normal? and are they claimable on warranty? Love the bike btw :)

Cheers,
C

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Spoked wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:22 »
I believe corroding spokes are a common fault and is a warranty issue , not sure about the other issues though
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:25:51 »
Suzuki and Honda see one area of corrosion as a fault... multiple is seen as neglect.

They will try and argue that vehicles used on roads where salt and or water is present need to be protected by corrosion inhibitors and washed as soon as the wheels stop turning.

It's very very argumentative, but the logic to it is sound.

That said take it to the dealers and let them see it and try and get them to action a warranty claim.

Suzuki's are not the most corrosion resistant.
But then again everything is made to be disposable now.

Ride Coordinator

Offline paulja

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 19:02:25 »
I had my rear wheel re-spoked under warranty a month ago.

Suzuki will start off by saying that their warranty doesn't cover it, and I quote- "''It is clearly corrosion so we will need to know what cleaners and chain chemicals are used please. Other cases we have investigated have all been corrosion, the plating on the spokes is discoloured and will not clean back to a shine because of this. The factory call it cosmetic and there is not reduction in spoke strength, just the appearance is changed. As any repair will be with the same parts until the cause is known it will doubtless happen again is he carries on the same routine. Saying that we would be interested to learn the cause (chemical) as it will help us improve things.''

1. Find a Dealer willing to take the work on. Suzuki will not deal with you direct.
2. I\ Dealer sent them pictures of the front & rear wheels (front spokes are perfect). So how can the problem just affect one end of the bike if it was my cleaning that caused the issue?
3. I never cleaned with anything that wasn't a specific bike cleaning product I.e. 'Muc-Off' or 'Pro-Kleen'
4. My Dealer backed me to the hilt. It should be noted that my Dealer wasn't even the Dealer I bought the bike off ;-)
In my defence, she did leave me unsupervised.