Author Topic: Gently swaying along...  (Read 2327 times)

Offline LusyLew

• Bike: DL650 L6
Gently swaying along...
« on: August 01, 2019, 14:25:46 »
Afternoon folks,

Had my '16 Wee for a couple of weeks now and have noticed a (very, very) gentle sway from left to right when riding around 30mph. (Those of you who have had a boxer engine bike, imagine that kind of movement).

It's more prevelant when the tank is full, but that's more likely due to the increased CoG with an extra few Kgs of petrol. I've checked my tyre pressures, but annoyingly my foot pump (tyre pressure reader is in the car at the moment) I suspect is not accurate, and it's started to leak, so no chance of an accurate reading there! It did however show 40psi on the front. Too much.

Both tyres are Bridgestone Trail Wings. Fitted with the direction arrows correct.

Is this most likely a symptom of overinflation? My last bike (CB500X) was on road tyres so it's been a while since I last rode a bit with such a profile.

Will definitely be checking the pressures when I get home tonight and also putting a pressure (and tread) reader under the seat!

Thanks!

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
Re: Gently swaying along...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 16:55:16 »
hmmm trail wings, I have seen them called Death Wings on here before. not used them myself  but alot have said to get rid asap

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 17:43:24 »
 :text-goodpost:

yeah what he said, but I have used them.

Get some nice road rubber if you'd prefer that- Pilot Road 4 seems to be the tyre of choice for pure road riders.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 18:02:47 »
Yes, they don't seem to last v long before 'acting up'. How many miles have they done?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 18:05:08 »
5?  :shrug:  that's about as long as I could stand the Battle 'Death' Wings on the Varadero.

The trailwings on the V-strom, well It was my first big bike, so didn't have a clue it was all new.

Ride Coordinator

Offline LusyLew

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 18:16:26 »
Quote removed

Well I've only had the bike two weeks, but it has 6.5k on the clock, so who knows. The rear is pretty meaty, the front is less so, about 4-5mm of tread I'd guess.

Given their rep, no wonder when we had that rain a few days back, I felt a bit squiffy on them!

Main stand will have to wait, it would seem! Gah!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 18:41:50 »
I got shot of mine (thankfully) at about 5k, as they were behaving worse with every mile!

Anakees are good tyres also.

You sure it is the tyres though? Checked all your steering nuts n bolts?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 22:14:01 »
  They are a lousy tyre, especially in the wet.
At those miles probably squaring off,and unknown tyre pressures...
Get your pressures right, and look for new tyres is my advice.
While your at it, if new tyres does not sort it,check steering head bearings.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 23:05:29 »
 :text-goodpost:

+1 on steering bearings. Too tight will cause a weave at speed. When I replaced mine I thought they were slightly loose so tightened them slightly which made the test commute over the M62 'interesting'...

I was told by a tyre fitter that if a tyre causes a weave at 30mph which then disappears as speed increases, it will also cause a weave at 60mph. I also had a faulty front tyre which caused a wobble at any speed, even though it was balanced on the wheel.

Offline LusyLew

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:30:56 »
Well, first stage done. Pressures tested, front was actualyl a little low and rear a bit over 29 & 40 respectively.

Added a bit of pressure to the front and it seeems much better this morning, though the commute was a bit of a battle so not much open orad to try on. Will go for a spin tonight and see what's what.

Definately need something more road biased I think!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 08:41:35 »
My first thought was over tight steering head bearings as well, but if you're concerned about the tyres then maybe replace them first and see what happens. At low speeds (less than say 30mph) if you release you grip on the handlebars a bit do they start to move from side to side, effectively a wobble? A lot of bikes do this and it is often made worse by a worn front tyre and replacing it usually helps. If you're sure the tyres are not the issue then steering head bearings should be looked at next. They should not have worn out on a bike of that age so may just need adjusting, but some investigation as to why this occurred might be a good idea as well.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:56:35 »
 Subject to changing your tyres for a different tread pattern with correct pressures and your steering head bearings in good condition, lubricated and correctly tightened you might also consider and check the rear suspension sag.  Imbalance between weight of rider, passenger, luggage etc and suspension preload. An overloaded top box can cause front end weave.  However, start with correct tyre pressures then check the headstock bearings are smooth before you spend any money. 
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline LusyLew

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 12:23:25 »
So after a few weeks and some deliberating on tyres, I put a set of BT023s on the bike.

The swaying has definitely stopped, but I think I need to look at the suspension set up too. Doesn't feel quite 'right'...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 18:02:03 »
Good tyres the 023's
Have a set on the Gsx1400.

The newer T30/31 are marginally better in the wet but don't last as long.
Bridgestone wasn't selling many of the 023 as they lasted too long. So along came the T30  lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 18:19:32 »
But yet they still make the 023.. .. :shrug:

For the heavier bike they are a great tyre   :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline LusyLew

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 13:45:02 »
Afternoon all,

Thank for all the advice re tyres. I went for the BT023s in the end. The difference in handling in the dry is night and day. The 023s are much, much better. Much more planted and I enjoy flickign the bike around.

In the wet however, I'm not so sure. It's most likely me being a wuss in the wet. They just don't feel planted. I've not experienced any major incident with them. The odd little skid when I've missed a manhole cover (The City is riddled with them!), but they've Kent up upright. Even saved my bacon (along with the ABS) when Mr Uber Prius secided Give Way didn't apply to him!

I can't relegate to being a fair weather rider, I have my heated gloves!  :grin:

Think I'll Have a proper sessiosn setting one the suspesion. I think the previous owner was an Ox!

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 22:27:13 »
Next time buy Pilot Road 5 and you will forget if you are riding in wet or dry. They feel the same on both. Never had better tyres than those, and I will never change to others. I have 101% of confidence in them :)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 09:54:21 »
That's true. I'm on Pilot Road since version 3 and they're great dry or wet.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 17:26:51 »
Tyres in different profiles but the same make/model do handle differently.

I've ridden a Tracer 900 with Roadtec O1 and thought they were great even though they were down to 2.5mm rear.
On my Varadero it ate them and never felt sure footed.

Maybe I should have said that before promotong the BT023.
But that said the BT023 was/is renowned for suiting such a wide variety of bikes not just having the correct fitment.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 21:04:32 »
I've not had any problems with the OE tyres (bikes done 3k since new), but then I only ride in the dry mostly these days...
I've always had good grip, even did OK all the way to Wales, where over the weekend I later found out there was only 14 psi front and rear...
Didn't feel any different riding the 300 miles back with correct pressures...must be my way of riding  lol
But yeah I will go to BT023's soon as there are some perishing marks and have had good previous experience on different bike types.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!