Author Topic: Genuine Suzuki Sprockets (K9 650 Non ABS) discounted?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
Genuine Suzuki Sprockets (K9 650 Non ABS) discounted?
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:15:31 »
As title says - anyone aware of anywhere flogging these less than full retail please? Robinsons don't list and tried a few searches.

Need chain and sprockets and would like Suzuki as first option   

Ta :thumb:

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Genuine Suzuki Sprockets (K9 650 Non ABS) discounted?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 06:32:51 »
While I may not be able to help with a cheaper sprocket rice, I would like to point out, that you should also investigate the aftermarket 525 pitch sprockets for the SV and GSX-R. Most of these sprockets will also fit the V-Strom and are often cost a little less that the V-Strom part. You need to decide whether you want the front sprocket damped or without the rubber damper. Google the sprocket tooth count for the various bikes (SV / GSX-R). Also look at https://www.gearingcommander.com for info on a sprocket tooth increase / reduction vs speed vs rpm.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:16 »
I use JT Sprockets, good prices with different quality choices.I would recommend using the rubber damped front sprocket as the plain sprocket is very noisy.
Ian Mc.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 12:55:58 »
Thanks folks

Just thought as 'older' some places may be flogging original parts off cheap for shelf space (like wheel bearings a little while back). I'd like to stick with original - if cheap  :grin: Also aware that some aftermarket parts may be by same manufacturer anyway (sunstar? DID?)

Want to stick with original sizes / gauges -unless- say 525 is easier to get on distant shores (Gert - any difference over your way I guess both as available in SA, any idea if further north? Probably pot luck on any larger chain sizes I.e. over and about 125cc sizes). If standard easy to remember and not mismatch...though like to think I'd remember...then again.

So far as aftermarket goes JT, Sunstar, Renthal sprockets seem popular with DID chains - I'd stick with damped as it must have been done that way for a reason and I guess any noise may be even worse for a pillion and I'll have one permanently attached :) along with panniers that may enhance any noisy acoustics.

Read a bit of background so will be liberally applying freeing oil and going easy on the torquing - be interesting to see if the cush drives are good as the chain lost a load of adjustment at the tail end of our Croatia trip - wildly so  :shrug:

I want to get a set-up that will (I hope) be good for 20,000 miles

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 14:31:10 »
Hello Fritz,my chain and sprocket set has now done 23,000 ish miles,I turned the front sprocket around to equalize the wear after 14,000 mls or so.It is still not looking too bad.I have a Loobman chain oiler fitted which no doubt helps.
Ian Mc.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 14:58:33 »
I saw an IRIS-525-X-Ring 120 link chain (Spanish) on a special introduction price, in one of the local shops, a few days ago. I gave it a skip after a search on Google. My current preference is for the DID-525-VX 120ZB, when I can get it. The other chain brand that I would love to try, is the EK chain 525 SRX2 (525 MVXZ) or the EK chain 525 ZVX3. The screw type master link, looks easy to use. So far I have not seen the EK brand on sale over here.
I have tried the all steel sprockets, with and without the rubber damper. Certain sump guards seam to amplify the chain noise, but there are ways of getting around that. Otherwise it is as you say, pot luck.
There are videos on testing of the cush rubbers. I have shimmed mine with inner tube before, with good results, while new cush rubbers were being sourced.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 21:34:13 »
I have an OEM front sprocket, JT rear sprocket and D.I.D. chain which are currently at c.30,000 miles with only a couple  adjustments in that time. The important thing for chain life is to use a chain oiler

Offline Fritz

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 13:48:21 »
great info thanks folks, running out of time for bargain prices as the days lengthen and people get busy  :grin: