Author Topic: old strom vs new  (Read 2176 times)

Offline D16PJM

• Bike: BMW R1250GSA, David Jefferies R1, ZX9R, Suzuki T20
old strom vs new
« on: June 18, 2019, 22:37:59 »
I currently have a K7 1000 GT, it ticks all the boxes, I like the ride and the look but like most I do get tempted from time to time by something a bit newer, is there a huge difference between the new and old, obviously ABS etc is a bonus but for someone that does limited miles is a change worth the extra money, what are the pros and cons.

Pete

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: old strom vs new
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 00:18:56 »
I prefer the look of your model vstrom, I'm not a great fan of abs either but I'm probably in a minority there, if you are happy with what you've got then I don't think there's much advantage in the Veek over yours.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:46:21 »
My take of upgrading to a new model or change of brand:
Pros - newer machine, ABS, maybe a little better performance, better resale value, good for your image and mindset.
Cons - cost to purchase, increased insurance, extra cost for farkels / Tyres / etc, a lot of added stress (like theft protection, new scratches, rust / etc). don't get your price for your old ride.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:17 »
Guess it depends what you're going to do with  it. The new 1000 is more sporty the old better for touring.
New one has better brakes, suspension and more low down go but I'd  say the older one is more comfortable  better wind protection etc.
Some say the new one runs sweeter but the newer one has the same troubles as the mileage goes up, the clutch is still poor and the engine lumpy at low rpm.
As for higher resale value of the newer model you can forget that, once they've a few miles on then they're hard to shift.
Take a test ride, you might love it, but if I'd  owned a vstrom awhile, old or new model I'd want a change altogether. Good luck.

Offline D16PJM

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 16:15:09 »
Still having this dilemma which kind of tells me either stick with what I have or go for a different brand all together, all modern adventure style bikes seem to have very little in the way of wind/weather protection compared to the older Vstrom , varadero etc.

I love the seating position and height of this style of bike but have been looking at a Triumph Trophy Se, all day riding is a plus but the amount of electronic gadgets and back to dealer only for some of it is not so good. I like doing some DIY maintenance and a lot of newer bikes will either be dealer service due to warranty or not DIY friendly with rest tools etc.

Pete

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:40:55 »
Pete, if you are that determined to buy a new ride then I would suggest that you take the new Veek for a good test ride. From all the reports on this and other V-Strom sites, the L4+ are highly recommended. When compared to many other brands of adventure bike, the Veek is a good choice. The only concern is that for some reason production of the DL1000 has been put on hold for 2020. Maybe a due to sales figures, etc?   
To me, the gen 1 Vee may have had a few shortcomings but once sorted, it is still considered a very good motorcycle to own. A member, who travels a lot, has clocked over 400+ miles on his gen 1 Vee and that says a lot. The only thing I would say about the gen 1 Vee, as with every older motorcycle irrespective of brand, age is it's enemy thus making it more difficult in locating  certain spares.

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 18:05:51 »
Hi Pete,

^^^ Gert's advice is solid in my humble opinion.

I was looking for a bike for quite some time and test rode several machines. For me, I knew within 2 minutes of riding a bike whether it was for me, or not. Once I got on a Strom, I knew I'd found my next bike.

Get yourself booked in for a test ride  :thumb:

....you won't regret it  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline VstromJay

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 14:13:57 »
Had a DL1000 back in 2008 on which I had 58,000 joy filled miles over 5 years and after a while away from the Vstroms I now have a shiny new 1000 so here is my take on old vs new. The new one is much more refined, better at low speed and has ABS and traction control. Negatives are the lesser amount of weather protection but then again I have just come off of a Burgman so anything other than a car has less!
It also has all the dash stuff which like ABS and traction control you do not miss until you are used to it then you do.
ABS - I used to be sceptical until I had to hit the anchors on my XT1200 when a lorry broadsided across my path. Being able to grab a handful yet have the wheels not lock so I could steer around the carnage converted me.
The various dash stuff - having a miles left (ish) is handy, the voltage output/battery charge is nice
Styling wise I prefer the new sharper angular look, the bike does feel thinner. Seat is narrower but not uncomfortable so - my arse is still breaking that bit in, the longest I have continuously ridden the bike for is about 3 hours and I could still walk!

Take a new one for a test ride

Offline D16PJM

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 17:31:00 »
Thanks for the replies, going to book a test ride at Laguna motorcycles, also seen some good deals on pre reg bikes.

Pete

Offline D16PJM

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 21:30:09 »
rather than PX my current bike I'm looking at selling private, it has everything done to it.

givi screen
gearchange enhancer
Garman Sat Nav
power sockets including volt display
aux fuse box
2x seats 650 and 1000
front spots, rear bullet lights
Power commander
full luggage including brand new racks just fitted
touring scottoiler
fork brace
heated grips
top box bracket moving it away from seat
shearalike clutch basket
tracker

and probably loads I have missed, 57 plate with 34k, idea on price, I was thinking around the £2250 mark but seeing all the above is that good or bad.

also best place to advertise, most on here already have a strom, ebay is hit or miss I find

Pete

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 21:32:31 »
That is a bargain.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline D16PJM

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 22:08:21 »
Remembering more now, forgot the delkevic Exhausts, that is my issue want a new bike for the vanity of it really but difficult to replicate the above.

Pete

Offline blobstrom

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 09:34:36 »
I have an 04 650, a few years back I was tempted by the new DL1000, lovely bike and I enjoyed the spin, but I had to think is 8.5k better than mine,as they had offered me 1500 for mine part ex. With all the extras I had already got fitted, I worked out it was the handling that had gone off on mine, so I put new annakee 3 tyres on it and kept it! Since then its had hyperpro suspension, braided lines on it , so I m glad I kept it .. simpler bike to work on too.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 09:53:27 »
Any chance of a picture ?
Ian Mc.