Author Topic: Spoke corrosion  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Bristolian

• Bike: V-Strom 650 XT 2017 Past: Yamaha RXS100, Piaggio Skipper 125, Honda CX500, Suzuki GS500, MZ TS125, MZ ETZ250, Kawasaki ER5
Spoke corrosion
« on: November 21, 2018, 14:56:16 »
 Hi. I have had my 2017 650 XT for a couple of months now and done a couple of thousand miles in variety of conditions Mostly in the dry but some wet weather and muddy roads. When I got the bike is only had 1000 miles on and was generally very clean although on closer inspection there are a few areas where it looks as though it might not of been so well looked after. The spokes looked okay but there was some tarnishing.I have been pretty about cleaning and used ACF-50 after an initial thorough clean.

What I was wondering is is it normal to have some degree of light tarnishing on the spokes. I ask because I haven’t been able to thirtie

Offline Bristolian

• Bike: V-Strom 650 XT 2017 Past: Yamaha RXS100, Piaggio Skipper 125, Honda CX500, Suzuki GS500, MZ TS125, MZ ETZ250, Kawasaki ER5
Re: Spoke corrosion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 14:59:06 »
Sorry posted that before I had finished!  What I was going to say is that I haven’t gone the whole hog on cleaning the spokes although have been looking after them  and was just wondering if they really do come up as good as new or is some degree of tarnishing is inevitable. I hasten to add that while I like to keep the bike looking clean and presentable I am not obsessive! Thanks

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 20:49:32 »
My take on spoked wheels is: WHY HAVE THEM? They are a throwback to a bygone age before someone thought of one piece wheels. On a true off road bike I.e. trials, mx or enduro bike then fair enough, other than that, WHY?

Sorry, rant over.

Prior to seeing sense and buying my V-Strom I bought a T120 Triumph (the new Bonneville). My biggest misgiving was the spoked wheels and the fact that the wheels wouldn't run tubeless tyres. In spite of this I stupidly bought the bike and for a very brief period all seemed well. Fast forward 1000 miles and first (of 3) punctures. On removing the tyre and tube I noticed some brown streaks on the inside of the rim. On removing the rim tape I was faced with fairly extensive corrosion of the spoke nuts and the chromed recesses in the rims. I won't bore you with the details but Triumph and dealer were useless and I got shot of the bike pronto. At the time I had a 40 year old Suzuki that had lived a fairly hard life but the chrome rims and zinc plated spokes showed no signs of corrosion.

It would seem that spokes seem to be trendy these days and riders are charged more for a much more inferior product than we had in the 1970's and earlier, before cast wheels became the norm. I've lost count of the amount of complaints I've heard of modern bikes with corroded spokes. It would seem that manufacturers have forgotten how to perform electroplating properly.

Best suggestion I have is to regularly use ACF 50 and let it penetrate the adjuster nuts before they seize up, but beware, it is slippy and it may well find its way onto your tyre.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 00:05:43 »
I was going to buy the XT because I liked the look of the spoked wheels, but my local Suzuki dealer talked me out of it, pointing out: Pain in the arse to clean, prone to corrosion, heavier than alloy. Also the alloy rims will cope minor off road excusions. Tackling anything more technical off road you would need something more off road orientated anyway.
There is the option of replacing the spokes with stainless steel ones, expensive.
Or do what we used to do years ago, invest in a jar of vasaline!

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 07:11:19 »
The OE Spokes on my Africa Twin were a low grade Stainless Steel, they tarnished very quickly. I have had some better quality ones (apparently) fitted under warranty. Every bike I have had with spokes have all turned to shit.

I wouldn't have spokes if there was an alloy option.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 07:41:03 »
 :text-goodpost:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:10:19 »
  My take on this one is, you have spokes,so rather than discuss the pro's  and con's they will need care, the finish will dull or tarnish, but get a small paint brush, and after a good clean and very good dry around the spoke adjusters, perhaps over a few days in a warm environment, or the loved ones hair drier while she is out, brush on ac50 or the like, concentrating on getting some into the threads on the adjusters,and don't wash it off.
 This has worked on my spokes wheel bikes.
I also, on tyre Changes, have treated the inner rims to a coat of spray primer, but ac50 would be as good, then put rim tape back on.
 I know, why should we have to do this etc...moan or fix it is my attitude, it is what it is. :fix:

Offline Bristolian

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:59:25 »
Thanks. I bought the bike nearly new and didn’t give much thought to wheel maintenance to be honest-just rode it, liked it, bought it.

Not complaining as very happy with the bike but was just curious what other people’s experience was particularly as I had seen some stuff on-line about spokes being replaced under warranty (though seemingly not Suzuki).

As I said I look after the bike but I am not obsessive so didn’t want spend excessive amounts of time working on spokes if they tend to end up tarnished despite best efforts. Will keep on top of the cleaning use ACF-50 and not worry about it.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 09:19:04 »
@wurzel:- that is good advice. The T120 rims will be done before lunch.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline JohnS

• Bike: DL1000XT
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 23:25:03 »
My 1000XT rear wheel suffered bad corrosion on both the rim and spokes within a year. Suzuki replaced the wheel under warranty, it will be interesting to see how the new one lasts.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 13:59:05 »
What Wuzel said.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 15:15:24 »
 :thumb:  and seconded. Or thirded. Tomorrow morning first job after brekky
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Darreng586

• Bike: V strom 1000
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 21:46:02 »
Hi how did you get on with the corroded ?
I’ve got 2018 v strom and it’s only done 1000 miles and the spikes are badly corroded d

Did you make a claim under the warranty ?

:thumb:

Offline Jonnyh

• Bike: DL650XT L9
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 14:09:09 »
My 2019 xt has covered 1200mls now rode it in all weathers.spokes still as shiny as the day I picked it up

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 15:13:53 »
Give it time Jonny.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Colmate

• Bike: DL1000XT L7, SV650 (the wife's), ST1300
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 15:55:15 »
My 17 plate has some pitting too despite not being ridden in winter or the wet, stored in the garage and dried with a bike drier after washing it. ACF50 this winter just gone has prevented them from getting any worse. They're not awful, just a shame they used low grade stainless.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 22:03:31 »
They are not stainless (as they are stained!) but plated steel. Zinc or cadmium plating isn't that durable it seems when presented with the British climate. Chrome would be better but that is expensive. I'm sure that I read somewhere that stainless steel spokes are prone to snapping, especially if overtightened, but I can't remember where I picked up that nugget of info...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Dick Allen

• Bike: 2017 v Strom 1000xt plus 3BMWs
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 21:00:34 »
Rear wheel corrosion . My xt100 on a17 plate and only 10,000 miles has worm corrosion in the gold rim . Suzuki say as it two  years old with mileage it’s not going to replace it . Not been used in the winter have a BMW sidecar for that . Any one else got a problem . Ps . Had a prob with the spokes coming loose from new had them re torqued twice  now OK .