Author Topic: Side Stand Sensor  (Read 504 times)

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

• Bike: V-Strom1000 (DL1000A) 2016
Side Stand Sensor
« on: December 24, 2023, 00:53:29 »
Hello all. I am new to V-Stroms and have just bought one. I have come from a Supermoto and am not used to having a side stand sensor/switch as in my state, it isn't mandatory for on-road registration. Riding the bike seemed fine, goes through all the gears.

I have a question regarding the side stand sensor though, and I apologise if it sounds silly, but while I was on the bike and ready to take off, I put it into 1st and there was a big clunking sound as the bike shut off right away. This happened twice before I realised the side stand was down.

I know that the side stand sensor is working as intended obviously, but it's just not something I'm used to yet. Would that clunking noise I heard have done any damage, like to the gearbox or something?
I am just cautious as I worked extremely hard to buy this bike and thought I'd ask here before riding it again to prevent any damage from doing so. From this though it is definitely not something I'll forget about again.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Side Stand Sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 01:35:01 »
I don't have a 1000 but I think that clunking into first gear would be fairly normal? I don't think the side stand cut off switch will do any harm and you don't want to be riding off with your side stand down anyway!

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 04:50:53 »
As above ,it shouldn't do any harm.
I have done it myself a few times when not paying attention.
It sounds worse as you have the standard first gear clunk AND the engine cutting out clunk together.

Some bikes do clunk into first from a cold start.
I start mine in the garage then have to wheel it backwards out past my car.
I find the wheeling backwards helps with the clunk.
If I have a cold start and don't have to wheel it backwards it always clunks.

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 10:19:08 »
Totally normal and you won't have done any harm. The gearbox on the 2014 on 1000 is not the usual slick Suzuki effort really, they do clunk badly into first and from first to second, better after that.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 11:07:54 »
As above, mine is the same. Pull the clutch in and holding it for a couple of seconds before engaging first seems to help, though it could be my imagination. Don't  worry about it though, go for a ride. A long ride will take your mind off it and make you smile. Happy Christmas.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.