Author Topic: 650 AL8 versus the AL9  (Read 1832 times)

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
650 AL8 versus the AL9
« on: May 30, 2019, 18:10:44 »
I'm looking at new or pre registered deals for the VStrom 650. Some dealers admit their pre registered bikes are as early as 2017 - AL7. Some say they are AL8 and even some AL9's are pre registered.

Has anyone spotted the easy things to look for to be certain of what (AL7, 8 or 9) I'm buying. Usually changes to things like finish on the end of the can or something small such as a different decal on a brake fluid reservoir. To confuse further it seems the XT model has tank paint colour trims passing either side of the clocks/headlamp. On the standard DL they are all grey care what the tank finish.

Using Suzukis own pictures on their website and even the latest brochure doesn't make it easy. Or perhaps that's the idea?
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
Re: 650 AL8 versus the AL9
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 19:08:16 »
I think the main thing to change over the years were the choice of colours, 2017 was the introduction of the 650 which cloned the 14+ DL1000's styling.

So if it has a beak its a genuine 17+ model, the biggest issue though is the year it was pre registered because that's when the warranty starts ticking down from, so a bike pre registered in 2017 will have less than 1 years worth of warranty left by now.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 19:45:50 »
colours look to have been a choice of red, white or yellow for all three years starting AL7 onwards. There's a black which might not span all three years.

Good point about the warranty. Pre registrations start from September 2018 (68 reg) through to May 19 (19 reg). Losing seven or eight months at worst.

...anyone bought one recently that they fancy private deal value for? I don't mind a thousand miles or so.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 22:17:04 »
2017 650 UK colours in the brochure were: Champion yellow (YU1)
                                                          Glass Sparkle Black (YVB)
                                                           Pearl Glacier White (YWW)

if that's any help at all? :shrug:

Another thing is the fuel tank o ring recall, done on 'some' 17 and '18 models here  so presumably 2019 models didn't need it?

Also, the 2019 brochure has this boast:
Engine cover hardware and select other fasteners are of a new design that permits the use of Torx or conventional hex-style tools.

You can compare (USA) model years here: Suzuki  there's a grey box with model years to choose from.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:49:10 »
Thank you for the info gassoon.

I'll confine my search to 2019 bikes to avoid the fuel tank o ring leak recall. I believe its illegal for a dealer to sell any vehicle with a known outstanding official safety recall.

Had it confirmed that Metallic Red, Yellow and a Pearly Metallic White are the genuine UK import colours for AL9 models.

I'll try and spot the change to fasteners.

Frustrating to ring up dealers all over the north west that advertise good deals on eBay, Auto trader and MCN. The pre registered bikes simply don't exist or when pushed they are weeks away from delivery to them and want near full on the road price. Simply do not let them go for their advertised price.

Having to sell an immaculate standard three year old Triumph Street Twin to make room. Dealers offering me good prices without seeing it but I need to make the change now. Not next month.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 13:00:04 »
Have you tried Colin Appleyards in Keighley? They usually have good stock and I've found they do decent deals too.

Good luck

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 16:32:07 »
try shirlaws Suzuki in aberdeen, they would probaby ship it to you for £150.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 19:27:22 »
Thanks UK_VStrom 650 and sillyboy.

Have never bought a new vehicle without seeing it first so makes Aberdeen a tad awkward.

Had forgotten Appleyards eventually took Suzuki to Keighley. Leeds branch closed in 2008/9 the week after Suzuki authorised some warranty work for me that never got done. Just tried them in Keighley. Don't have just what I'm after by the time I need it but certainly put what I should be getting an unregistered AL9 for into perspective.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 17:50:00 »
Have found the new fasteners on the engine cover of al9 build. Just the same hexagon heads for normal spanner / socket with a hole to use a torx in addition.

Most striking is now a black painted rear carrier casting. Was silver before AL9.