Author Topic: First ride on my weestrom  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Hutchie

First ride on my weestrom
« on: March 09, 2010, 18:05:38 »
Picked it up this afternoon, 2007 AK7 weestrom, silver

First impressions, bearing in mind I have only ridden around 100 miles so far. Coming off of an FJ1200 which I have ridden hard for the past 9 years, so I am used to torque/grunt/label as you will.

Lets start with the negatives shall we, and build up to the good bits...

I've never felt so beaten up by a bike in all my days, did around 30 motorway miles at 'around' the national speed limit. Hells teeth, I've been on naked bikes that don't buffet you like that. That screen has to go or get moved. I ended up with my visor up (which I like) at nsl (and a wee bit) , which made it quieter.

Suzuki top box has to go, it's plastickie lock and such is just not going to last at all. I might just put a new lock on it or something.

Sounds a bit too quiet, I like to be able to blat the exhaust at dozy car drivers (the horn is for when I am angry ;)

It is covered in warning and information stickers, nanny britain/nanny bikes.

The bridgestone trailwings that are on it feel a bit vague, I'll wait till I've more miles under my belt on the bike before passing judgement.

Somebody keeps stealing the back brake pedal. I ride in motocross boots, and sometimes I pressed the brake, sometimes I pressed fresh air.

NOW

The good bits.

I enjoyed almost every second I was on it. All fears of wierdy handling and gutless engine that I have had have all gone now. It handles really beautifully, in just the way I like, you get feedback. It goes plenty quick enough to sit over the nsl all day.

When you get it on a B road, it comes into it's own. It turns from mild mannered Clark Kent into a giant supermoto, and I was peein myself laughing a couple of times. Definitely was making overtakes I couldn't have dared to on the FJ.

Brakes are great, again, I was slightly worried they'd be puny, but in fact they are brilliantly progressive (well the front, I rarely found the back brake pedal.

Visibility, ability to be seen is really excellent, I forgot how nice it is on a tall bike to be able to look over the cars and hedges.

Standard seat, well only been on it for 2 hours, but not a problem, tons of room to move around as well.

It's better than I hoped , and I can see it getting a lot of miles stacked on it very quickly.

Insurance was pennies, but I'm an old git with a million years no claims.

In summary, the faults are all trivial wee things that can be fixed by fiddling or spending a few quid (screen/brake pedal)
My fears of gutlessness are gone forever.
My overwhelming sensation at the moment is , why the hell are more people not riding these, it's bloody brilliant. Goes great, stops great, turns great, looks (I think, brilliant) and costs buttons to run.

RESULT!

One happy Strom rider , it may be called a weestrom, but on a back road it'll kick your Donkey

Woohoo, roll on later, going out to play with it on the back roads in the dark, best headlights I've ever come across on a bike.

Photos are on my phone at the mo, will post later, but with the list of bits I've ordered for it, it'll be unrecognisable in a fortnight.
 :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Re: First ride on my weestrom
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 20:23:58 »
lol

Quote from: "Hutchie"
Picked it up this afternoon, 2007 AK7 weestrom, silver

Insurance was pennies, but I'm an old git with a million years no claims.

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Glad you like!

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:22 »
:thumb:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline andy168

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:06 »
Had  a Wee for a day when my Vee was getting a new tyre fitted,
Great bike, but when I was going about 15-20+ over the NSL, it started to struggle with my 19 stone.
Brilliant bike in town, but I'll stick to my Vee :thumb:

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:46:46 »
This morning had my first commute (40 miles, motorway, A and B roads)

Weighing only 10 stone dripping wet, the bike can sit quite comfortably at 100 , if required :)

Was a hoot riding to work, this bike is releasing my latent hooligan teen mentality again.

I was seriously concerned that the 650 would be underpowered, but that is completely not the case (for me at least)

Can't get peace to get any work done for folk asking me what the big grin is for :)

I feel like I've bought the swiss army knife of motorcycles, it can be used for most anything.

It weighs nothing either, I was surprised at that.

To sum up, I have now become a weestrom evangelist, and my mission is to tell the world , hehehe

Offline Catballou

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:46:53 »
Glad you're enjoying it  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

kritichris

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 23:18:16 »
I rode mine to Italy after ordering a Madstad which didn't arrive in time. I din't find it too bad and I wasn't cruising as my mates didn't hang about. Sincde then I've fitted the Madstad with orig screen and it seems fine but not much miles yet. I suppose it all depends on what you've had before but 4me the VStrom is great.

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 23:42:31 »
Quote from: "Catballou"
Glad you're enjoying it  :grin:

+1 to that! :thumb:

I put a Madstad bracket and an MRA Vario screen on my bike a few weeks ago and it made such a difference!  The Vario has an additional spoiler on the top of the screen that can modify the air flow around you.  If you have the additional £££ for both, I'd recommend it!

Cheers.
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters