Author Topic: ECU "reset" by removing negative battery cable ???  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Octave

• Bike: DL250
ECU "reset" by removing negative battery cable ???
« on: August 22, 2019, 09:31:59 »
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a 2018 DL250 with less than 4,000 km/2,500 miles.  I am living in Turkey.

The bike has an undaignosed source (cause) of vibration.

From this forum I have read a lot of informative questions/replies for the DL650.  Perhaps someone can answer my question regarding how to drive the bike after I "reset" the ECU.  Please let me explain.

My bike vibrated so much that a 40 minute ride resulted in my internal organs to jitter for about an hour.

In total discouragement with the authroized service centers who said the vibration was normal, I disconnected the negative battery cable for 15 minutes.  The result is my "internal organs" are no longer being jolted.  However, vibration remains more in the footpegs than in the handlebar.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable was helpful.

I am wondering if the manner the bike is rode immediately after the "reset" determines how the ECU reads the sensors and controls the performance of the bike.

The first "reset" changed the bike SO much that I want to try another "reset".  My questions are:

1.) After a negative battery cable "reset", within how much time? or within how many miles? or within how many times the motor is stopped/started is the ECU "recalibrated" by the sensors.

2.) During this "recalibration period" (whether it is according to time, mileage, or motor stops/starts) how should the bike be operarted?
    2.a) According to my ridding style?;
    2.b) Mildly to allow the ECU its opportunity to do what it does?
    2.c) Aggressively to allow the ECU to adjust for "maximum performance" as defined by is mapping?

Friends, I am learning as I go.  I may totally misunderstand ECUs and how they function.  I ask these questions to learn a little AND to locate and correct the source of the vibration (which I strongly believe is associated with the ECU given my experience explained above).  If you can help, a new friendship will be made.
Again, Thank you.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Re: ECU "reset" by removing negative battery cable ???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:01 »
Not sure how Suzuki resets work, on my KTM990 the ECU could be re set by discounnecting the power, re connect and start the engine, allow to idle for 15 minutes with out revving.
Might be worth checking all the bolts are tightened to the corrrect torque. And check the wheels are properly balance, although a badly balanced wheel would cause vibration at certain speeds.
Incorrectly adjusted chain could also be a cause of vibration.

Offline Octave

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 00:32:20 »
Thank you for your reply.  I will consider what you wrote.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:14:38 »
  I agree, check your wheel balance,and ensure motor mounting bolts are all tightened correctly.
Chain adjusted correctly too.
  Some tyres, off road orientated, can cause vibration too.
It sounds like the ECU reset has improved things, I'm not familiar with the air intake on your bike, but if it has two throttle bodies it might be worth checking them, or having them checked,to ensure they are balanced correctly, as that can cause vibration on a bike.

Offline Octave

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 13:02:55 »
Quote removed

Thank you wurzel for the list of possible causes of vibration. The bike is at 3,200 km.  At 10,000 km / 6000 mile service the owner's manual recommends a throttle body sync.  I have read on this forum positive results have been obtained by a throttle body sync (tbs).

At the 5,000 km service I may request a "tbs" in addition to a diagnostic test.  I will continue researching and learning.

Thanks for your reply. :ty:

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 20:29:15 »
I have no mechanical knowledge but only suggest this because it happened to a bloke I was riding with the other day.
Did this severe vibration come on suddenly or have you had it for some time?
My friend arrived to start our ride and refuelled an empty tank at the adjacent petrol station.
At the end of the ride he said that his bike had been lurching and vibrating as if something was out of balance in the engine. He hadn’t wanted to stop the ride but I could see he was having issues a few times.
He has since told me he siphoned the rest of the fuel out and refuelled again and the problem went away.
Just suggesting this in case it may be relevant for you.
(His bike wasn’t a VStrom but big in-line four).

Offline Octave

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 20:50:40 »
Thanks mrp for your thoughts.

The vibration began at 800 km when according to break-in the engine could exceed 5,000 rpm.  Immediately the vibrations began at 801km and has remained until now 3,900 km.

The violent vibrations were reduced when I disconnected the negative battery cable.  I repeated a disconnect last week;  the vibrations were delayed unitl 5,500 rpm.

I don't know much.  My thoughts may be misdirected.  However, I am thinking a sensor or two is occassionaly send  bad data to the ECU.

At the moment I am not suspicious of the fuel.

Thanks again.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 21:54:47 »
I would get the throttle bodies balanced straight away, that is the most likely problem.

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 17:52:41 »
If its vibeing through the peg's, and especially the left one - I'd be checking the chain first. stiff links? aligned? sprockets OK? Properly OK? I'd take the rear off to check every link by hand - but I'm a bit retentive like that. :dl_hyperhysteria:

That said - every Parallel twin I have ridden has vibrated - one of the reason I've never owned one.
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:28:02 »
Does it vibrate when the the engine is run up in neutral ? If so I'd suspect injectors , throttle bodies out of balance  etc.
Have you checked the spark plugs are the correct type?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Octave

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:04:26 »
Thank you wurzel.  I will request a valve clearance check and throttle body synch.

Thank you infidel.  The chain/sprocket/alignment issues have be considered.  There are two DL250 owners on this forum.  Neither have the vibration problem I am experiencing.  For some reason almost every DL250 owner in Turkey reports vibration.

Thank you Brockett. Yes, the engine vibrates in neutral.  The plugs are those referenced in the owner manual.  I will look into the injectors; Hope to have the throttle body balanced shortly.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 07:22:44 »
Let us know how you find the results Octave,and I hope it resolves your bike issue. :)