Author Topic: touring  (Read 1361 times)

Offline kalbo3553

• Bike: none yet
touring
« on: April 23, 2019, 15:56:06 »
Hi all well I am now retired had bike all my life up to 4 years ago now looking for a bike and came across the v-strom you all will think I am mad with what I am going to do, I lived in the Philippines for 6 years and came back to the uk with my filipino wife to look after mum till she sadly passed so here we go I want to go 2 up on long distance touring all the way through to the Philippines by the way it is possible and wanted to know if the v-strom is up to it and which engine 650 or 1000 I have seen some posts about suspension etc so any help is much appreciated thanks

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: touring
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 18:07:02 »
 :thumb: :text-goodpost:  Now that is a fine form of 'madness!'

The stroms (650 and 1000s) are very reliable bikes, and quite capable of such a journey. If you are carrying a lot of weight (luggage, your combined weights) you might want to uprate the rear suspension before you set off, with aftermarket units.

Timangus,  a member of this forum, is currently going around the world 2-up on a 650. Done tens of thousands of miles so far I think! Maybe have a search of his posts to get an idea of how best to approach it! :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 19:19:58 »
You're a man with a fine plan! If you are both of a lighter stature then I'm going to suggest the 650. The fuel range is very useful and is a capable, willng machine. The 1000 has more oompf if you like overtaking everything in sight, but the 650 is no slouch either. User650 has pics elsewhere on the forum showing his 650 in full touring trim, complete with two sets of panniers. If you need to carry more stuff than that then ideally you need a van...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 23:08:48 »
 :grin: :grin:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 23:42:20 »
Has to be 650 for increased range.

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:21:57 »
used normally two up on my 650 I am getting 74 mpg which will be handy if the fuel stations are a long way apart.

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:52:03 »
I'm not sure if it was on this forum on another, but there was a chap doing a similar thing and touring around Asia blogging about it, the thing that surprised me was it's apparently a nightmare to find bulbs in certain places due to the high proportion of scooters over bikes so take a couple of spares just in case.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 15:34:42 »
I am that man currently in Thailand having done over 30,000 miles so far. Tips: top loading panniers for the ability to load and strap things on. Large bag on the rear instead of top case as you can carry more and it keeps the weight low. Once you’ve packed everything empty it all out and throw half of it away. You end up rotating the same 3 T shirts and pants & socks, washing out as you go. Booking.com will get you a hotel anywhere and get a universal adaptor for usb/plugs. Fitted a stronger rear shock for the extra weight, and layers for the bike clothing. Have a pair of vented summer gloves and a waterproof set.
Good boots in case you come off (we did), and don’t skip on good helmets with comms setup. Fitted Sat Nav and use google maps on my phone for those hard to find hotels. Look at getting visas in advance if you can as it will save a lot of hassle later, but some you can only buy within a short time period of arrival, so be prepared to hang around a bit. Get good medical cover, an International Driving Permit, and look at the costs of getting your bike through countries without paying import tax. We have a Carnet from a company called CARS, but check what will apply to you if you plan to keep the bike once you get back. Your UK bike insurance will cover you some of the way,then look to buy online or at a border for a month at a time. Join Horizons Unlimited site for up to date info on border crossings etc, and the UK government has a site you can join for updates overseas.. and ENJOY!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 18:46:08 »
 :text-goodpost:   so good I liked it twice! lol Didn't know that was possible!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 14:53:00 »
And don’t forget spare fuses for your power sockets! A proper ball ache if you can’t run your nav etc.