Author Topic: Noisy fuel pump  (Read 1429 times)

Offline BaggyB

• Bike: DL650 L4 and a Suzuki GN125
Noisy fuel pump
« on: December 01, 2018, 20:54:39 »
Hi. My Vstrom (650 14 plate) has just passed 42000 miles. The fuel pump appears to be on the blink. Sounds like the cooling fan running. Loud enough to hear above the engine at tick over. Reckon the pump is on its way out. Anyone else had this issue? Is replacement the only option? Where should I get a replacement from? All suggestions gratefully recieved. Baggy.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Noisy fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:50:14 »
I would expect the pump to last a lot longer than that. Is it noisy because the strainer/ filter thingy needs cleaning? If you search there was a recent thread on it. Also, are you certain the cooling fan isn't running? It maybe the switch for that is faulty causing it to run when it shouldn't?  Diagnosing noises on a forum is notoriously difficult. Hearing it first hand would allow for a more accurate reply.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline BaggyB

• Bike: DL650 L4 and a Suzuki GN125
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 13:27:19 »
Hello -Quick update: well it turns out it was the motor bearings. The good news is it was an easy swap - the bad news is you can't buy different parts, it comes as a whole unit. £320 quid! - Oh and a new O ring that's an extra 25 quid. On the plus side I have some spares for the next time. I'm getting quite good at removing the panels and the tank - and almost get the right fixings in the right places now. She's now over 43000 miles and still going strong. Now I need to replace the rear shocks...

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:29:10 »
Out of interest, were you referring to the fan motor bearings that were required for replacement? Do you have any pix?