Author Topic: FI light but no faults stored in memory...  (Read 1726 times)

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
FI light but no faults stored in memory...
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:25 »
I have been having an issue with my 2012 Glee recently where, after 5-or-so minutes riding in the morning the FI light comes on. This doesn't happen every day. If I turn the ignition off and on again the light stays off.

It happened again this morning so I took it to the garage who have since plugged it in only to find no fault codes stored in memory.

There is nothing obviously wrong with the bike, but I have had a number of electrical issues with it in the past (and a number of the connectors around the front of the bike have been replaced as a consequence).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on, or suggestions on what to investigate?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: FI light but not faults stored in memory...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 13:51:26 »
Could you ride with it in dealer mode so you can see any error codes as they happen? Odd they're not stored in the memory for the SDS to read. (My dealership once mentioned to me they'd cleared a stored vacuum error which had related to me installing a Scottoiler a couple of years before when I unplugged a vac line and ran the engine)

Online Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 06:27:23 »
+1 for the suggestion to ride in dealer mode for a while. Alternatively, do what I did, wired in a permanent dealer mode toggle switch, so that dealer mode can be easily switched when ever needed. Now there is no need to remove the seat, locate the connector, short out the contacts, etc.

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:02 »
This is what the garage has done - made the connector accessible whilst the seat is in place so that, next time the light comes on, I can get the error code on the screen.

Offline goat

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: FI light but no faults stored in memory...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 13:17:37 »
Hi Awicks
               The F1 light coming on may be due to water in your petrol.The Injection system is very sensitive and the least bit of moisture or dirt could cause this. It happened to me and I traced the problem back to a service station which I later discovered was receiving a delivery of petrol as I was filling at the same time.I now never fill up at a station which is taking a delivery as the fuel gets churned up with any water or dirt present in the storage tanks.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 21:27:09 »
Good point, goat :thumb:

Gert, and awicks - where did you mount your switches, gents? I could fancy doing that (when the garage warms up!)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 21:29:23 »
You could mount a switch anywhere . Or just leave it tucked away under the seat , as I did on my vee.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 06:29:13 »
On mine. I placed the toggle switch as close to the dealer mode connector, as was comfortable to reach but out of harms way.
As I said before, no switching off the bike first to remove the seat and the chance of loosing the error code.
Just been out to take a quick pix

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 20:41:31 »
 :thumb: Cheers gert - out of crud's way as well
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Metro Strommer

• Bike: V Strom 650
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 22:16:34 »
I had this same problem with my F1 light it was back and forth to the dealer's they said it was the sensor for the throttle bodies still happened they tried everything and could not find it they passed the fault back to Suzuki technicians who came back with try replacing the clutch switch which I thought was a bit of a fob off but it cured my problems just a thought prior to this problem the bike had a slow speed drop and I never even thought that it could have been the possibility that had caused the clutch switch to be a fault.