Author Topic: SIde stand play  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Deauman

• Bike: DL1000 L7
SIde stand play
« on: August 05, 2018, 15:45:31 »
Just joined the forum having bought a year old 1000 last week. The only thing I'm not happy with is the amount of play in the side stand. It allows the bike to lean over much more than I would like. I've just spent an hour lying on the garage floor removing and inspecting the stand and its bolt but can't see anything obviously wrong. The hole in the bracket seems to be round which I guess it would not be if it were worn. But the fit is so sloppy I wondered whether there should be a sleeve on the bolt or a shim between the stand and the bracket. Any helpful comments? How much play should there be?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: SIde stand play
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 17:39:06 »
They are all like that sir.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 18:22:21 »
The side stands are a clearance fit on the bolt and the spring holds it in tension. If it leans over an excessive amount one possibility is that it has had the rear suspension raised.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Deauman

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 22:08:41 »
The bolt may be a nice fit on the stand but it's a lousy fit in the hole in the bracket. As the stand contacts the floor it looks as though it will be OK but then as the weight of the bike bears down the stand moves in the bracket and the bike tilts another 10 degrees or so. The spring tension can't resist the weight of the bike. Maybe I'll just have to build up the foot of the stand.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 22:31:39 »
As Mr D said, they all do that! A bit disconcerting at first, when the stand foot slides across the floor as the bike leans, but it hasn't got any worse over the 16 or so months I've had the VStrom. It just seems to be a design foible.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 23:17:40 »
I have taken a touch off the shoulder of my K9 pivot bolt so it tightens up onto the bracket a little more,then when the stand is under load it doesn’t spread the jaws and the stand is much stiffer.
Ian Mc.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 23:20:25 »
As said befor they all do that. you can put the bracket in a vice to close the space up a little, or try a G clamp of put a  washer on the inside of the bracket to take up some of the space.  :fix:
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham