Author Topic: Rapid Bike Easy/Evo  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Billabong

Rapid Bike Easy/Evo
« on: July 04, 2018, 18:30:19 »
Hi all,

Over the last two days I've test ridden demonstrators for both the 1000 and 650. As I'm looking for a bike for blood biking in London I'm particularly interested in fuelling as there are so many 20 & 30 mph limits. The fuelling on the 1000 was atrocious - the fuelling on the 650 was better but still not good. I know it's down to complying with emissions regs but the dealer mentioned the Rapid Bike Easy or Evo plug in boxes to maybe cure the issue. Has anyone fitted one? If so, what difference has it made?

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
Re: Rapid Bike Easy/Evo
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 19:13:45 »
I can testify for the Evo/Racing modules and think they are pretty good but they aren't as plug and play as people would assume and require quite a bit of input if you want a perfect tune but on the plus side this doesn't require a dyno and it can be done with a quick mess with the software after each ride.

I can't recommend fitting these units at home unless you are comfortable with removing the tank and air box as it requires being plugged into a lot of sensors plus the each individual injector.

Sadly our stroms aren't supported by the racing version which annoys me as I have one sat here doing nothing that I could of bought a wiring loom for but I when used it on my previous bike it was pretty good, specially if you like to mess and see what's going on.

These work by having a base map preloaded for your bike which is set on a dyno in italy by dimsport allowing for -10 to +30 in each cell of the map but they have a separate adjustment map which allows +/-15 based on what's detected through the O2 sensors, the reason these maps are separate is because you can choose to roll the automatic adjustments into the base map allowing for more adjustment over time.

Personally I like the rapid bike Evo/Racing units and would recommend them but if you don't fancy having your bike ragged on a dyno there isn't any other option out there..

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 19:22:58 »
So the dealer wants you to spend extra to fix problems with the new bikes he's selling? To say he's taking the piss is a major under statement. If the bike is not fit for the purpose you are proposing to buy it for (and the dealer can't or won't fix it), then walk away and look elsewhere. It was possible on earlier models to modify the fuelling with a plug in Yoshimura box and then just remove it. I suspect that this can't be done on the new models with the same box, but there may be another way it can be done at no cost to you? I would say to the dealer that if he wants the sale he's got to sort it out before you part with your hard earned cash or you'll be off somewhere else.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 21:26:06 »
Are you sure it was the fueling ?  I can understand the 1000 being a bit much for town riding but I can't think of a better bike to get around town on than a 650, especially a brand new one . 

What bikes have you ridden previously ? Are sure it's not just the character of the v-twin motor ?
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 06:48:16 »
Can't answer about the rapid bike box but I know a tre and throttle tamer helped my 1000 l4 at low speed but  I'd  not buy one for city use.  It's an open road bike, it don't like to putt putt along, qt 20 mph you've the clutch in more than out.  I'd get the 650. That is unless the deal on the 1000 was better, I'm a sucker for a bargain,  that's how I ended up with this one!

Offline Billabong

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:03:48 »
...Personally I like the rapid bike Evo/Racing units and would recommend them but if you don't fancy having your bike ragged on a dyno there isn't any other option out there..

Thanks Paz324. I see on their website that the Easy unit is much simpler, though how effective it would be is another question!

Offline Billabong

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:43 »
...It was possible on earlier models to modify the fuelling with a plug in Yoshimura box and then just remove it. I suspect that this can't be done on the new models with the same box, but there may be another way it can be done at no cost to you?...

Thanks hookie. I've been told that the problem is due to new bikes having to comply with Euro 4 emissions regs. On the Strom it seems that the fuelling is set up so that when the throttle is closed the fuel is instantly shut off, leading to the ridiculously snatchy on/off throttle experience in towns (much more noticeable on the 1000). Apparently the Rapid Bike units have replaced the Yoshi box...

Offline Billabong

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:10:40 »
Are you sure it was the fueling ?  I can understand the 1000 being a bit much for town riding but I can't think of a better bike to get around town on than a 650, especially a brand new one . 

What bikes have you ridden previously ? Are sure it's not just the character of the v-twin motor ?

Hi kwackboy. 100% it's fuelling. I've had 3 Stroms in the past as well as lots of other bikes and I've ridden stacks more. The 650 is much better than the 1000 but the issue is still there - particularly noticeable when riding through 20mph limits.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 09:38:12 »
The tre stops that fuel cut on the 14-16 model  1000's but the newer one might be different.  I know the wiring has changed as a member here tried to tranfer his tre over to his new bike, not sure if he got it sorted.  Hilltop are doing re flash of ecu now too, see other thread.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:44:15 »
If the fuelling on any new modern engine with it's multi sensor ECU driven injection system is not working properly, the manufacturers and dealers are really talking bollox if they say it's due to emission regs. and expect owners to either put up with it or have to spend extra money to get it resolved. Things like this have been going on for years in the bike industry e.g. crap finish that is failing after a winter's use, rear dampers that are shot after 15,000 miles and brake calipers that need servicing every year etc.. How comes the same components on cars last years. It's become the norm on bikes and we've all grown to accept it. Whereas the car buying public, who in reality are probably a lot less well informed do not. This whole fuelling issue has been going on with bikes for years and the universal response is emission controls. It may have some validity on hyper sports bikes, but not with Vstroms which by modern standards are low tuned cooking engines. Some years ago a friend of mine had two low speed offs with a new Honda VFR800 VTEC (which at that time had appalling low end fuelling) and he started court action before Honda caved in, accepted liability and paid for repairs. He then got shot of the bike and bought a BMW?  So if your Suzuki dealer can't or won't do anything about your concerns take your money elsewhere. There are plenty of other bikes (and dealers) who will value your custom and meet your requirements. It's also got nothing to do with the engines being a twin or a "V" either.

Offline Billabong

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 10:27:01 »
The tre stops that fuel cut on the 14-16 model  1000's but the newer one might be different.  I know the wiring has changed as a member here tried to tranfer his tre over to his new bike, not sure if he got it sorted.  Hilltop are doing re flash of ecu now too, see other thread.

Thanks porter. I've heard lots of good stuff about Hilltop so I'll check out that thread  :)

Offline Billabong

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 10:29:23 »
...So if your Suzuki dealer can't or won't do anything about your concerns take your money elsewhere. There are plenty of other bikes (and dealers) who will value your custom and meet your requirements. It's also got nothing to do with the engines being a twin or a "V" either.

Totally agree hookie, but I'm not sure what dealers can do. The fuelling needs to be adjusted which I guess needs something like the Rapid Bike box or a Power Commander. I'm totally with you that bikes shouldn't be sold like this but I guess it's a sign of the times...